• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Braking for more traction?

I havent thought about using this technique for off road driving, but my brothers old truck had an open rear end and would only do a two wheele burn out while power brakeing it. However it was a stronger driveline. 318, rebuilt 727 and a 8.75 rear end.

I hadnt put 2 and 2 together until now. Thanks

~Alex

This technique made a nice mess of my spiders as well

Picture079.jpg

IGOCOMMANDO said:
You don't have one?:shocked:
I don't call it a leg.

Idea! Maybe I'm crazy and I relize that this trick would work better on the front wheels cause theres a little more weight for increased traction. But on the back wheels wouldn't it pretty sweet to have independent controll of the hand brake. Heres the idea. Two small cut brakes that don't have a ratchet, to control the individual wheels, and a larger lever with the ratchet action to pick up both levers for e-brake action.

I have open diffs front and rear. Alot of people say the brake method doesn't work.

However it has got me out of many situations!

I have not used my ebrake because it sucks...I usually just mash the brake and use the gas with my right foot.

Like I said I would have been stuck many times if it were not for this method! It certainly works.

In technical terms, this is called 'break/throttle modulation'. If you think it works well in XJs, you should see what it will let you do in an HMMWV!

that trick really helps my rear ls quite a bit, but as has been mentioned, it can have catastrophic results if you get a little too crazy. a friend with a yj blew up his d30 on one trip, then the d35 two trips later while doing that.

Back