• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brakes

I don't doubt that he knows his stuff. I'm sure they are a great pad for DD'ing or crawling. I'm looking for something more along the lines of a dedicated track pad.

i know hawk makes street pads for jeeps, idk about there club racing series, no experience with that or if they even make em for jeeps. i always had really good luck with stoptech... maybe ferodo or dba has something they can get to work?

I wish I'd seen this thread sooner, just been busy. I'm running the Black Magic Pads on the Vanco kit with Centric rotors. Over the 1150 miles we just ran in 24 hours doing consistent, repeated, lap after lap 100 mph panic stops, we never had a twinge of brake fade and were able to out-brake basically every other car out there. The pads looked nearly new after the race. Simply amazing.

If at all possible, I'd try to get some of mrblaine's stuff.

You know how racing is - t's always a cost based decision.

But more importantly, I want to be able to source parts from craigslist in whatever town I'm in for events. The more stock I am, the more likely I am to be able to make that happen. I can afford to carry an extra set of brake pads, but having a specially drilled rotor, non-standard caliper, or custom bracket means that if I hit something and break it, I'm not going to find replacement parts at autozone. I've had to do heroic overnight repairs like that just to stay in the event.

But more importantly, I want to be able to source parts from craigslist in whatever town I'm in for events. The more stock I am, the more likely I am to be able to make that happen. I can afford to carry an extra set of brake pads, but having a specially drilled rotor, non-standard caliper, or custom bracket means that if I hit something and break it, I'm not going to find replacement parts at autozone. I've had to do heroic overnight repairs like that just to stay in the event.
The Vanco/Saavy/Blackmagic kit is designed with this in mind; everything is source-able from the smallest Mom & Pop parts store. They use off the shelf brake components (I think the caliper is from a half ton Ram or something) to give you that ability.

-Matt

Ok, I shot him an email. I'd be willing to test them out, but I'm going to reserve judgment until then. It's just been my experience that random people on the internet don't always know what they are talking about ;)

If I knew as much about website building as I do about Jeep Brakes, I could rule the internet, but your brakes would still suck. ;)

It didn't come across in your email that you were looking for a dedicated track pad and it's funny you mention that because the Black Magic compound was a dedicated track pad for street and track racers. Then it was discovered that although they are good on the track up to 1400°F, they also have the highest cold bite of any pad we've ever found. That's also why they have the name they do. Those that race know that track pads need to warm up and the cold bite sucks. To find a pad that has a better cold bite than any other pad I've seen and doesn't exhibit hot fade until 1400 is nothing short of Pure F'n Magic and I figured I didn't want to spend the rest of my life explaining what PFM meant, so Black Magic it is.

After reading the rest of your posts and requirements, my best suggestion for your brakes would either be the stock pads and rotors we offer (although I doubt you will find those on Craigslist) or the WJ swap.

The only issue you're going to run into with the WJ stuff will be the inability to source a CL knuckle that already has the welded spacers on it.

If you do go that route, you're still going to need a spare set of prepped knuckles so that's sort of a toss-up.

The EBC Yellowstuff's are also a great pad. They (in combination with the Centric rotors) are what the Vanco guys recommend as the best combo of the many different brands they've tested. I think I've been running them for about a year now. Excellent stopping power, even when they're cold. My only complaint is that they squeak from time to time.

Edit: Interesting, it appears that Vanco is now offering the Black Magic pads (as well as the EBC's) as an optional upgrade pad with their big brake kits.

We continually test for the best stopping you can get with the Vanco stuff. I personally hand build every Vanco kit that ships and we do our best to stay at the top in outright performance.

So, when we found a better pad than the EBC Yellows that we tested several years ago, it became the standard offering in the kits and the only kit that we don't have them for is the one that uses the Dodge 1500 54mm caliper and that's only for a short while longer because the BMB pads are on the way for them.

I don't know if Van's website reflects this or not, but the only pad available is the Black Magic unless we don't have the app yet.

When the point in time comes that we find a better pad, it will become the standard.

NAPA carries a combination ceramic/semi metallic pad, the brand is "Adaptive One". I run them on my daily driver because I was having problems with brake fade coming down hill from my sister in law's house, no more fade and no problems with the rotors like you can run into by just switching to a normal ceramic pad.

We did a lot of testing of the Adaptive One stuff because the premise seemed sound and at one point when we could not get other higher performance pads, they were used in a few of the Vanco kits.

At best they are a mid grade pad and I believe they are overpriced for the performance level. That doesn't make them a bad pad, just not enough performance for the money spent.

That's exactly what he put together for us. And, yes, I know you already have another solution in the works, but you owe it to yourself to keep your options open down the road.

Just to clarify, your race rig runs the same brakes that is the standard 16" Vanco Kit.

...I personally hand build every Vanco kit that ships and we do our best to stay at the top in outright performance.

Hmmm...I wonder if we've met? I have an early Vanco kit (Explorer calipers?)on my 92. I recently put a set of Black Magic Pads and Centric rotors gotten through Mike Rollins on my daily driver 97. Love em on the commute from OC to LA everyday.

Hmmm...I wonder if we've met? I have an early Vanco kit (Explorer calipers?)on my 92. I recently put a set of Black Magic Pads and Centric rotors gotten through Mike Rollins on my daily driver 97. Love em on the commute from OC to LA everyday.

I'm glad they work for you. No, I don't believe we've ever met. Yes you have the Explorer calipers or the Explorer Sport Trac calipers. If you don't have the Sport Trac versions, you should. They are a direct swap and have larger pistons in the same physical external dimensions.

I highly recommend them and if you can't find any that are non A-1 Cardone, get in touch and I'll see what I can do for you.

Back