• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brakes and Trans

Alright alright. So say i do have the funds for new rotors, replace them, but with just any new stock ones? Or is there a heavy duty type i should put on?
And as for the rear brakes ill try that and get back to you, I'm pretty sure my rears are good though, but a double check never hurts
I don't know what's best these days in rotors, so I hope someone else can chime in here. But I would guess you will do all right if you go to a good auto parts store and choose the premium ones over the cheapest ones.

just get standard rotors. unless you are racing your xj! i paid about 25 bucks a piece a little while ago. seems all the part stores run about the same in price. online might be a little cheaper but rotors are heavy and cost more to ship so it evens out in the end. i gave up on machining rotors 10 years ago. couldnt find anyone willing to do it anymore locally and i had one disinetgrate once on a chevy k2500! rotors just seem to be throw away parts nowadays after they have reached the end of their service life.

Well that's not too bad of a price, guess ill look at a few stores and see what they charge. But as of now I had my jeep checked out for heating problems and my radiator. Turns out the radiator is corroded, the hoses are corroded and clogged, and the thermostat is broken. So im getting it all fixed on Monday for about 300 at a local farmers co op, luckily the have worked on my jeep before so they know me and let me help out and give me good prices. Kinda sucks that im having to spend more money on the radiator. But I guess that's how it goes. Next to do the rotors, hope its the last of my problems!

Question about my tires, got regular street tires, came on when i bought it. All the air valves on them, the caps have popped off, one by one. I screwed them all on super tight as I've had to replace them before. I don't understand why they keep coming off and i never have any!

Question about my tires, got regular street tires, came on when i bought it. All the air valves on them, the caps have popped off, one by one. I screwed them all on super tight as I've had to replace them before. I don't understand why they keep coming off and i never have any!
I don't know either. Perhaps you're screwing them too tight, and they're expanding. But I bet if you get metal caps they'll stay on. While you're at it you can get one or two of the fancy ones that double as a valve core tool, pretty handy sometimes.

Well i am not screwing them on too tight, but screwing them on like they're supposed to be. Ill look for some metal caps, but what are the valve core ones for?

Well i am not screwing them on too tight, but screwing them on like they're supposed to be. Ill look for some metal caps, but what are the valve core ones for?
They're for removing the valve cores. Rather handy if you have a defective valve to be able to use the cap as the wrench.

Here's what I mean: http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/TL309I06-Rema+37+Metal+Valve+Cap+Wcore+Tool.aspx

They may corrode the valve stems a tiny bit, which is part of why they stay on, but I've never had problems with them unless they stayed untouched for years. Even then you can use pliers if you have to. If you're a good boy and check your pressures frequently, they won't have time to stick. If you have TPMS sensors, you're on your own.

Last edited:
Jeeez! Just get the plastic caps and don't screw them on too tight. They last forever (or close enough) and I've never had one come off, ever! If you have some kind of fancy caps, perhaps someone is helping themselves.

If your caps (and properly torqued lugs) are coming off during regular DD use, you have some other problem. A search will give you some torque values for lugs when using anti-seize (copper preferred but I have as a practical matter usually used the aluminum based stuff with no issues). I need to update on the values and will post If I have a chance to look these up before you do. I think 5-90 may have the values on his site but I'm not sure.

If you want caps that remove the stem cores, get a couple and throw them in the glove compartment.

Just my thought FWIW.

Well I've had plastic caps on, and i keep having to replace them, either i have too much pressure in my tires (which i doubt is the case cause they always look flat), or I'm hitting bumps and stuff and they pop off, I've heard of that. But I'm not really sure what the problem is, at first it was just one tire, then i aired up a tire today and noticed all 4 were off. And i didn't screw the plastic ones super tight, just to where they were on all the way. Im not having a problem with my lugs at all, they were and are torqued correctly.

Well I've had plastic caps on, and i keep having to replace them, either i have too much pressure in my tires (which i doubt is the case cause they always look flat), or I'm hitting bumps and stuff and they pop off, I've heard of that. But I'm not really sure what the problem is, at first it was just one tire, then i aired up a tire today and noticed all 4 were off. And i didn't screw the plastic ones super tight, just to where they were on all the way. Im not having a problem with my lugs at all, they were and are torqued correctly.
There's no way tire pressure should blow off the caps unless your valves are bad. I suppose if you have extra long stems and drive a lot in brush, or tend to hit curbs when parking, that might pop them off. So might overtigntening, bad threads on the stem, or a chance batch of really poorly made caps.

Of course if you just got a set of good old fashioned metal caps including one or two with valve core tools in them, you could use them to tighten the valves, or replace them as needed, and then put the caps back on, where they would properly engage the threads on the stem, stay on, and (since they have an actual little gasket in them) incidentally do a slightly better job of holding in air if the valves do leak....just saying. :dunno:

If you have to air up your tires constantly, you have a problem somewhere, and if coincidentally you suspect your caps are blowing off, I'd guess that your valve cores are bad or maybe just loose. Now why they might be bad is a separate question. Perhaps someone used oil-contaminated air to fill the tires and it ate the rubber gaskets? Who knows, but the first thing I'd do if I suspected this would be to replace them. They're cheap. Easy to replace (if you have a valve core tool of course).

Replace the caps or the valve? Im going to buy new valves, ill try the metal ones and see how the do, but have you had experience with corroding from metal caps? And i just need a hold up or to fix this problem til about February when i put a lift and new tires on

As for constantly filling up, i do it about once a month, but I haven't had to in a while cause i haven't done much offloading due to my radiator problems. With that being said, the caps have been on there through offloading and just came off in the last week.

Replace the caps or the valve? Im going to buy new valves, ill try the metal ones and see how the do, but have you had experience with corroding from metal caps? And i just need a hold up or to fix this problem til about February when i put a lift and new tires on
I'd replace both if there's any doubt about the valves leaking and blowing off caps. By new valves, by the way, I mean valve cores, not the whole stem. Just screw out the core and put in another one and reinflate the tire. Metal caps will corrode a little if you leave them on for excessively long times. On farm equipment and the like you might need to use pliers after a few years. Otherwise I just wouldn't worry about it. If you're checking your tires with any kind of regularity they won't have time to corrode. Don't overthink this.

I think I'm gonna use the metal caps, pick out some cool ones lol. You're probably right, i need to replace the valve cores. Ill get on that one. I just spent $450 replacing the radiator, 2 hoses, thermostat, water pump, and something else. Just got those done. Next is the fan clutch, and the compressor. They also said i need to have my heater core checked.

About how long do they last after getting them machined?

And well i was driving down the road with the ac on and out of no where a loud screeching noise started so i turned the ac off and it quit, turned it back on and it started again. I had it checked by my wrangler fanatic cousin and he said the compressor went bad, had it checked by a mechanic and he said the same thing, so he unplugged it and ran the air, no noise.

I've had numerous XJ's make the same noise you're describing. On all three it actually turned out to be a bad blower motor. The noise would start as intermittent, but got worse (louder) and more consistent as time went by. Just something else to check before you dish out money on a new compressor.

Regarding your Tire Caps: I find it next to impossible that you would be frequently loosing them, especially all four at once.

Here is my suggestion - hide behind a bush outside at night and when the local kids come around to steal the air caps, scare the crap out of them.

When I was about 8 or 9 a bunch of us used to sneak into the truck yard next door and take as many air caps off the big tires as we could find. This could be your problem.

Well i can have them machined down, but they're warped pretty bad. And the compressor I'm pretty sure gave out. Just at random when driving, i had the ac for about 30 minutes and then it started screeching real loud, then i turned it off and back and it did the same thing. So i unplugged the relay and its not been used

Back