• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake upgrade gone awry - diagnosis help please!

I take it there's no simple sure-fire way to tell how far in or out that rod needs to be adjusted. You have to mount up the master, bleed the system and try it out, over and over, until you get it right? That seems unfortunate. Any shortcuts?
I can't be too far off, but having had this brake system apart so many times already, I'd hate to have to do it several more before getting it right. And then there's the next time . . .

What Rd said:
I take it there's no simple sure-fire way to tell how far in or out that rod needs to be adjusted. You have to mount up the master, bleed the system and try it out, over and over, until you get it right? That seems unfortunate. Any shortcuts?
I can't be too far off, but having had this brake system apart so many times already, I'd hate to have to do it several more before getting it right. And then there's the next time . . .
You don't have to bleed the system after each adjustment. Just put the MC back on and push the pedal with your hand and you should feel a little free movement before you feel the resistance of the booster rod. About an 1/8" is good.

K

I have never found a residual valve in the stock XJ system so there is not one to remove. Which might explain why the rear drum brakes are so bad in the first place. I know it is not in the master as the ZJ all disc master has the same part number. I have pulled the proportioning valve apart and not one in there either. There is nothing else on the whole rear brake line setup either or any mention of one existing in the FSM. If anyone knows exactly where one is, if there is one, let us all know.

corbinafly said:
You don't have to bleed the system after each adjustment.

Thanx. I kinda thought about that after I posted and it's good to know that's the case.

I finally got the Jeep back into the garage tonight! So now maybe I can actually manufacture a chance to work on it. Gotta go wrestle the kids into bed now . . . .

Alright. I adjusted that secondary rod in a bit, and after a couple of tries I think it's at the proper setting. The pedal seems to move ever so slightly before there's pressure. It also seemed to be working properly on a very, very short test drive before the little clip that holds the pedal rod to the pedal arm popped off. Luckily, I was in my driveway and just coasted to a stop and hit park.
The clip is broken, so I need a replacement. Any good suggestions other than the dealership? Alternatives?
As soon as I get this back together it'll be time to work out why the braking isn't better. It felt ok on that very, very short test drive, but not what I expected and well short of what I'd like.

FINALLY got a little time to work on the beast. I wound up making a clip to replace the spring one that broke. So now in the morning I get to test the brakes a bit and then try to sort out why they're not better than they are. I'll report what I get after trying the e-brake adjuster test Dingo mentioned.

Back