• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake Rotor Stuck on Hub.

C85D4x4

NAXJA Member #1311
1993 Toyota Camry with 40,000 original miles.

Well it's the original rotor from 93, and I have been trying to get it off for 2 days. I have even resorted to using a 5 lb sledgehammer. I do not have oxy-acetylene, but I have been trying to use a Propane torch with PB blaster. It seems to be fused to hub, and PB Blaster is not working its magic. I cant really get a good swing, but feel like I'm going to damage the RP steering or the wheel bearing if I continue using the Sledge!!!:bawl:......................really wish they used anti-seize from factory

Does anyone know a better way/tricks to get this thing off???...............(other than taking the hub off and finding a Press)

-Chris

Last edited:
Re: Brake Rotor stuck on Hub.

You might try making a tool - throw some pieces of angle iron behind the rotor horizontally at the top/bottom, put long bolts through them to two pieces going vertically across the lug studs, then put bolts+nuts through the vertical pieces above the studs and use it like a puller. If this doesn't work, apply as much pressure as you can this way while using the sledge to persuade it a bit more.

You might also try posting this in OTHER Tech, now known as towrig/other tech.

Does it have screws holding the rotor on? Sometimes they will also have two threaded holes, if you find the right bolts you can thread them in evenly and the rotor will pop right off

You might try making a tool - throw some pieces of angle iron behind the rotor horizontally at the top/bottom, put long bolts through them to two pieces going vertically across the lug studs, then put bolts+nuts through the vertical pieces above the studs and use it like a puller. If this doesn't work, apply as much pressure as you can this way while using the sledge to persuade it a bit more.

Thanks for the idea :thumbup:

You might also try posting this in OTHER Tech, now known as towrig/other tech.

I havnt been on here in so long, I didn't know about OTHER Tech.

Does it have screws holding the rotor on? Sometimes they will also have two threaded holes, if you find the right bolts you can thread them in evenly and the rotor will pop right off

No screws holding it on.......their are two holes......but I don’t see any threads. I have to take a look when I get home. Thanks

if you can get the hub off, take it off the car and try to get it apart that way.

you can also try hitting it with two hammers at the same time, like this

- O -

hit it from both sides (on the hat, not the outer part!) at the same time. the shock of the hit will move inwards and meet in the middle, works great for stubborn tie rod ends too. I saw another naxja member do this awhile back and I do it all the time now, works like a charm.

If it still won't come off, save yourself the headache and just replace both. heating the rotor up and beating on it with a hammer for two days has probably warped the shit out of it anyway.

Thanks for the idea :thumbup:

No screws holding it on.......their are two holes......but I don’t see any threads. I have to take a look when I get home. Thanks

If there are two holes they are likely threaded, get a a pick/nail/piece of wire and give em a good cleaning

I've had luck by hitting the rotor on the outside surface, the one facing the outside of the vehicle. Make sure you have some lug nuts threaded onto the studs, to make sure it doesn't come flying off when it does break free. Hit the outside surface, the farther away from the hub the better, and keep alternating sides. You will be able to get a much swing this way, and basically the rotor is going to try to pivot on the edge of the hub, and prty the rotor away from the hub mating surface.

Thanks guy's.................I'm going to try mostly all of what everyone suggested
Does anyone happen to know what size screws I will need for the small holes?

ALSO……… would it be a bad idea to try and fit a peace of wood between the back of the Rotor and side of the Frame, turn the car on and turn the wheel ???

I’m not at home right now to look at it……but in my head I can see it working…..:wierd:

Last edited:
I don't see it causing any harm. I suspect it'll break the piece of wood, but you can give it a shot.

The two threaded holes cracked it in half, then a 20lb Sledge for an additional 20 min.

It came off very slowly.
Gotta Love living in the Rust belt of Ohio, where they dump more salt than snow.

Back