• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake questions on D44/9" swap

Lonestar

NAXJA Forum User
Just finished the fullsize swap on my 87 XJ. I changed the front d44 outers from ford to chevy but I kept the ford hub for the 5 on 5.5. In the rear I stayed with the stock drums off of a 79 bronco. With that said I am still not getting braking from the rear, I can jack the rear off the ground put it in drive with my foot on the brake and they still turn. Any idea why? Everything is new front and rear. Ive had the drums off twice to check the adjustment, and i have bled them a couple of times. But that hasn't fixed it. Is there a master cylinder swap that I need to do or will the stock one work.

I know this swap has been done to death so i'm sure someone has dealt with this before. Give me some ideas.

Bryan

:wave: Are the wheel cylinders new? If not take them apart and clean them out with some wd40 or something and put them back together.

If that does not work you may need to get rebuild kits or new wheel cylinders.

This was my problem about a month and a 1/2 ago when I did this swap. The cleaning worked for me.

I did not have to replace my master cylinder or prortioning valve or anything. It was a direct swap. Old axles and brakes out new ones in.

Drums, shoes, wheel cylinders, springs, and adjusters are all new. It fills to me that they are not adjusted properly, but every time i check them they feel almost too tight. Also is there a special way to adjust them when a locker is involved? I was always told that in a normal situation you just adjust it until you will a slight drag on the drum, but a detroit makes it very difficult to rotate it by hand.

Bryan

Lonestar said:
Drums, shoes, wheel cylinders, springs, and adjusters are all new. It fills to me that they are not adjusted properly, but every time i check them they feel almost too tight. Also is there a special way to adjust them when a locker is involved? I was always told that in a normal situation you just adjust it until you will a slight drag on the drum, but a detroit makes it very difficult to rotate it by hand.

Bryan
put your axle on jackstands and put the tranny in neutral. (block the front tires)

pull off one drum.

leave the tire on one wheel - spin that one by hand - adjust till there is drag.

then take that tire and drum off, and put the other one on.

I have a D44 and F9" with my stock ABS 92 system and it stops just as well with 33's that it did with the d30 and d35 with 235's.

i havent even pulled the ABS fuse yet - no issues...

doing the E350 MC swap will give you too much fluid flow and not enough pressure - and you would loose your mechanical advantage.

good luck

Back