• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake problem...

Big Kev

NAXJA Forum User
99 XJ no abs.

So last night me and a friend were doing the brakes on the XJ. We took the front end apart and the front calipers started leaking. Back to the store to get some calipers. We got back and put the new calipers, pads, and rotors on and then went to the back. Got the back apart and put back together with new parts.

Then we started bleeding the lines. Started in the back passenger side and worked our way around. I was getting good fluid and no bubbles out of any corner. But we still could not get any pressure in the pedal. So around again and same thing good fluid out of all corners and still no pressure building in the pedal.

My buddy and I traded places and he bleed the lines while I pressed the brake pedal. Same thing, still not getting any pressure in the pedal, but good fluid coming out of the lines. It is acting like there is still air in the lines. We could not find any leaks any where either. Took the rear drums off and checked if the slave cylinder was leaking and there was nothing there.

This is not the first time we have done brakes. But we are not experts either. I had good brakes before we started, just needed new pads on the front and shoes on the rear. It is my habit to change the rotors and drums at the same time. Once we pressed the calipers back out they started leaking. We can not figure out how we are not building pressure after bleeding. We did it long enough and put enough fluid through it to not have any air but still no pressure in the pedal.

Any one have any ideas?

Back