• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Boxed (Sleeved) Frame Progress

THE_OWL

NAXJA Forum User
I finally finished one side of the frame boxing.
It runs from the bumper mount to the Crossmember. Going to do some extra boxing between the trans crossmember and the rear 4-link crossmember If I get it done this weekend.
Some of the welds are just tacked, and a lot of grinding still needs to be done. A few spots look like ass, because we had to "fill". Im in the running for the heaviest XJ of the year award.
11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

A few thousand hours of grinding & it'll look great....

-jb

i think it looks great, kinda thin metal though...

i was wondering about doin this myself and thinking about the breaklines and stuff runningdown the drivers inside lip, what did you do with thoes?

looks neat

oh yeah...

your leaf spring in teh bottom picture doesnt look to healthy.... like an "S" shape almost... maybe i dont know what im talking about

Leaf springs are all but gone,
Yes it is stronger, its twice as thick as the stock unibody.
No plug welds, thats a waste, I will run bolts through corresponding to the strips of 3/16" on the inner frame rails.
Brake lines arent run yet
And finally, like I said, its still rough and required filling between the plates that were curved and guesstimated wrong. It will be grinded down and look great, just like any other welds done to a thin unibody.
What no one is gonna start in on the loss of ground clearance?

A good weld doesn't need to be ground down, but to each thier own. If I had welds that were as good as those, I would definitely grind them down BEFORE I posted them here. We criticize because we care.

By the way, don't blame these welds on the unibody.

13.jpg

Rear Leaves are just there for placement.
This is my rear suspension as of today.
2" .250 wall for lowers, with 1-1/4" heims 1.75" .250 for uppers with 7/8" Heims, SAW 12"coilovers
14.jpg

Rear crossmember rough draft, yes its low but not as low as the trans crossmember.
15.jpg

Crossmember almost done, needs two more supports, tabs and gusseting
16.jpg

A good weld doesn't need to be ground down, but to each thier own. If I had welds that were as good as those
In case youre hard of reading Ill post once more in CAPS
THOSE ARE FILLS, THERE IS A 1/4" GAP BETWEEN THE TWO PLATES.
If you know a better way to fill with a millermatic 210 please tell.
You can see where there isnt any filling because the welds are nice.

The only nice weld I see is on the crossmember flange.

If you cant fill in a .25" gap better than that, maybe you should try your hand at JB welding.

edit: okay, I'll leave it alone.

Or maybe I should use wood screws to hold my fenders together.
Maybe you havent used a welder before on thin stamped metal before, but if you leave it hot enough to puddle in the gap, it blows a hole in the unibody, thats why they were done in blotches, small one first then a larger one on top. It was done with the intention of bieng grinded.
is.php

THE_OWL said:
Or maybe I should use wood screws to hold my fenders together.
Maybe you havent used a welder before on thin stamped metal before, but if you leave it hot enough to puddle in the gap, it blows a hole in the unibody, thats why they were done in blotches, small one first then a larger one on top. It was done with the intention of bieng grinded.
is.php
Good one. But that is rubber molding to keep mud out. Try again.

Back