• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bought another XJ...

XJfreakHO

NAXJA Forum User
So some of you may recall I sold out not long ago, got a wrangler and planned to go for a hardcore 1 ton build, well I have been in a spot lately, and been having to DD the wrangler, which has held me up from getting it built.

Today I went and bought a new to me Xj, which will serve as a DD/Wheeler built to take whatever I throw at it, and drive me home. Planning to have it done and wheeling by the end of March, wish me luck LOL.

431542_10150814788868356_513068355_12783355_1239719710_n.jpg

As it sits now, I am picking it up tomorrow.

Bone Stock 97 Cherokee, 3.55's, 8.25 29 spline, dana 30.

Plans will be...

Rough Country 6.5 Long Arm Kit
SYE... Undecided on brand, need cheap and effective, not hack and tap.
33's or 35's, whichever I find cheaper, sooner.
Chromos up front, either spartan or Aussie.
Either Powertrax No Slip or Welded rear... Brother had a bad run with the 8.25 Aussie.

Yep, I work almost every day, 12 hour days, and when I am not working, Im sleeping to catch up or have other damn commitments, my buddy who is unemployed will more than likely do all the install work for the lift and SYE, I will probably handle the small stuff like bolting up bumpers, hitch, and winch... Lol.

Really wish longarm kits were cheaper, due to the time constaints I may have to order a short arm kit, and upgrade later. Sad...

Must Have...

Tires... $300-600
Winch... $285
SYE... $150?
Wheels... Have... FREEBIE (think Monster Garage)
Windshield... Guessing prolly $150
I fear I need an O2 sensor, check engine light kicked on half way home with it and it has a rough idle. Fawkin a. $40-50 bucks
Lift... $900-1500
Bumper... $200
Hitch - $20

So lets call it an easy way to spend 2 grand.

Drove it home tonight... bout 35 miles... Wow... thing is smooth, everything works, really debating not lifting it and just enjoying it, but I know that won't last.

Been doing alot of reading... BrianHo's stiffeners are way too good of a deal to pass up, so Ill definately order a set of those too.

Project Money Pit on a Deadline. *sigh*

long arms are over rated!

Lol, went and cleaned the hell out of the jeep today, ran a tank of gas through it, averaging 18.8 mpg. Pretty sweet if you ask me.

Got a few things I need to fix, the windshield and whatever is tripping the code.

Payday is Thursday March 8th, so I will probably start buying parts then, expecting a check in the mail soon also that would really make life easier.

GL! I plan on coming up for the day on Saturday of the Jamboree. Maybe we can actually meet this time! LOL!

Good luck with that. I've passed him on the trail at least 4 different times now and still haven't been able to catch him. lol

Also, you need to camp that night. It's more funnerer that way.

I got in touch with Robert at RWKHaus, getting an insane deal on Chromos and lockers for the little jeep. Had no idea spartan made a locker for the 8.25 29 spline, but I am blown away by his pricing. $960 shipped for front and rear lockers and full set of dana 30 chromos and 760 joints, warrantied.

My friends are giving me shit about building up this XJ, say I should have never bought the YJ yada yada, but we shall see, I am going to dump my next 2 paychecks, plus part of the tax refund into this jeep lol, I gotta admit, I do love this jeep, something about an XJ just makes me feel good.

Ghost, If you will be at the Jamboree Saturday, I will try to wait around to say hey, I am planning to leave early afternoon saturday to make it to another event. Glad to hear you finally made it up to the workdays and met that crowd, I have been meaning to go up there more but my work schedule makes that pretty impossible, especially since I keep working overtime.

Lowrange, you will be at Uwharrie Friday afternoon right? Unless some catastrophic disaster occurs I will be there.

Last edited:
eric let me know if u need help with anything on it im startin my axle swap in the comanche this week

i went and only had time to pull the rear axle and then the guy tried to charge me $320 for it cause it had disc brakes instead of drums. i was told $150 plus the core charge when i had called 2 days earlier

Back