• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

boostwerks tcase linkage or similar problems solved

outlander

NAXJA Forum User
First off im not starting this thread to slam boostwerks....im not that way.
ok now it seems that these types of shift linkages work well on mainly auto trans jeeps and like to bind in manual trans jeeps due to the linkage geometry....I have a manual and tried every hole on the tcase tab and toyed with adjustments till I was blue in the face...

Boostwerks has good customer service and refunded my money all while I kept the linkage.
Good on boostwerks!
Now the problem was when I got into 4lo it wouldnt shift out unless I crawled under and moved the tab by hand because in 4lo the rod was straight in line with the top of the tab causing leverage to be applied down into the pivot point instead of up into the circumference of the shifter arc....
Solution?
The tcase shifter lever tab at the console has to be extended to get the leverage forces right and to make the rod sit more level
here is alot of reading on a very similar linkage setup which confirmed my early suspicions of geometry being off causing binding in 4lo
(See below)

http://m.cherokeeforum.com/showthread.php?t=163872
just wanted to post this up to help anyone that runs into this prob on a manual trans np 231 setup
oh and one more thing.
booswerks is working on a longer tcase tab that is supposed to be compatible with 242 case and I might see if he will send me that longer tab to see if it can be used instead of lengthening the console shifter tab.

I have the FST linkage and I have the ax15/231 and the linkage I bought with the extra $15 piece and it still did not fit right. I had to cut down a heim to the last few threads to fit. The ax15 is just so dang short. It works but took a lot of fiddling around with.

index.php

Yea I wouldve been super pissed about this whole thing if boostwerks didnt already refund my money (without me asking) and let me keep the linkage because I have around 4 hours of trial and error trying to get it to work only to figure out that the angles weren't right and that either the tcase shifter tab needs lengthened or the console lever needs dropped.

Last edited:
Well crap... I just got my Boostwerks linkage at the house and its waiting for me to install when I get back off rotation in a month or so. Is there a way I can extend the tab on the transfer case to make this work on my AX15/231 or should I just send it back to him?

Edit: just did a little searching and looks like I should try this little guy. Its just a longer lever arm. I like the Boostwerks rod ends better...
http://froehlichsuspension.3dcartstores.com/T-Case-Shift-Lever_p_38.html

Last edited:
Attention boostwerks;
If you want to send me that longer tcase tab you have been working on for the 242 case so I can install it on my 231 case w/manual tranny I'll be the guinea pig for you to see if others with the same setup will get by with a longer tab at the tcase instead of welding in a longer console shifter tab lemme know....

Ill wait to buy anything else to make it work until the AX15 issue gets resolved by Boostwerks. Im sure that they'll make good on this issue we're having. This sort of thing happens with brand new products to the market.

http://m.cherokeeforum.com/showthread.php?t=163872
just wanted to post this up to help anyone that runs into this prob on a manual trans np 231 setup
oh and one more thing.
booswerks is working on a longer tcase tab that is supposed to be compatible with 242 case and I might see if he will send me that longer tab to see if it can be used instead of lengthening the console shifter tab.

Correct, however the tab will lengthen the console shifter, instead of a longer TC tab. The purpose being that it will allow more overall travel from the shifter than the short OEM tab allows. However, instead of producing a replacement shift arm like FST, ours is a very simple bolt on tab. We chose to go this route to keep costs down and maintain the KISS philosophy.

For install, you will simply bolt the tab on the shift arm's existing hole, and drill an additional hole through the factory tab. This allows for a two bolt sheer connection, which is more than strong enough in this application. The tab is also designed so it can be positioned in several different ways providing for multiple throw options. These tabs are currently getting plated so we should have them soon.

The stainless rod provided in the kit may need to be cut down in certain applications as well. I don't exactly want to offer a kit with a shortened length to a customer that ends up requiring more length.

It still isn't clear which applications will require this additional tab. We've had a bunch of people mention it works great with their manual trans and just the oem shifter. It may just be the earlier Pre 90's manual trans/231 apps that need it, in addition to the 242 and TC drop apps. More time and testing will tell. Feed back from our customers helps immensely!

It should also be mentioned that so far we've had a 98% success rate of the basic kit. :guitar:

Outlander, I'll definitely get back to ya asap with a tab. :cheers:

Send me the new tab you got and ill post here as to the results:cheers:
im certain a longer console shifter tab will make your linkage I have now work properly by correcting the angle or geometry if you will...
my jeep is an 89 that originally came with shitty ba 10/5 that got an ax15 swapped into it when I first got it....

Oh about that rod....
I ended up cutting it approximately 1"
and again I want to give boostwerks more positive words for the customer service and for not leaving me high and dry!
good job man keep up the good work.

I figured I'd bump this for some clarification and changes I've made to the kit:

Our current kit is now labeled for use with the AW4 auto trans and 4.0L motor ONLY! We are sorting out the details on a specific manual trans kit, in addition to the 242 kit . We've had a couple people run into geometry issues with the manual trans, so I've made the decision to re-engineer the kit for that specific application. Also if you have a TC drop, it will require our 242 kit due to the change in geometry.

Thank you for the business and feedback everyone!

Bryson

Back