• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bomb proofing AW4

2875 for a fully built a4?(from IPT) thats not to bad in the grand picture.

tealcherokee said:
old thread, but no, there is an aw6 and if what hes saying is true an aw7.

the only aw6 i know of is a transaxle tho. mazda is using it in the cx9

I did see the new toyota truck commercial though, and that trans looks very much like an AW4, so I wonder if it's close enough to fit.
a 6 speed auto would be sweet.

brent said:
first was stock, second was dealer reman, third was junk yard. I've got the dealer reman unit at the tranny shop now, trying to research how to make it hold up, or toss in a 700r4 in its place, I believe advanced adaptors has the adaptor its only arround 350, or I can drop some serious coin for a built one from here http://www.importperformancetrans.com/toyotaauto.shtml

on the other hand, vodka may not be a bad idea :cheers:

I'm hoping the 700R4 or TH350 is going to be built, otherwise you'd be better off with the AW4..........

A THM350, THM400, A727, or Ford C6 would be a useful swap - and all but the C6 should be relatively easy (the C6 has an integral bellhousing - I believe the others are available with a removable.)

A 700R4 is not a "step up" - I'd consider it a step down from the AW4. I've put mine to some SERIOUS abuse, and it's held up remarkably well. I've done stuff that I'd be loath to try with a Powerglide, I can tell you that...

How excactly does one fit a Toy case behind the AW4? Do you have to replace the trans output shaft, transfer case adapter, what else is needed? :)

I reccomend an upgrade valve body from IPT. They can build you one that will produce shifts that are firm yet comfortable, and produce higher line pressures to increase the overall torque capacity.

I've seen a couple Supras running the AW4 with this mod running over 800whp. I think over, that a built GM trans would be almost required.

Back