• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Blown Head Gasket, what else?

OEM gasket part numbers:
5301 0238 97-99
4854 038 00-01

The gaskets are not the same. Any catalog (rockauto is guilty of this, among others) that says the 99 gasket is the same as the 00-01 gasket is probably confused about a possible mid-year split concerning the cylinder head.

Well, I installed the new intake/exhaust manifold gasket and it seemed like it was the right gasket, and i had no issues with the ports not lining up at all. So I have the exhaust and intake manifold torqued down to spec and now it sounds 90% better than it did last night.

So there is the tick, Im pretty sure its a lifter, maybe more than one that is not working correctly or failed. I've already bought the head gasket in preparation for this, so I guess the head will most likely come off tomorrow, unless you guys have a suggestion for something else it may be.

Using a wood dowel as a "redneck stethoscope" type deal, I've determined that the noise is definitely up top. The lower end actually is really quiet and not making much noise at all, so I'm happy about that. Most of the noise is from the head gasket and up, and its pretty much the same volume across the head.

When revving it up, it makes a more noticeable rattle as it decelerates in rpms. I am not driving it still, I would like to get the jeep running right before I take it back out of the garage. I also have a youtube video I made for shi**s and giggles, you can check it out, maybe it will give you a little more insight on whats going on.

FOREWARNING YOU, It is my first youtube video ever, and its from my iphone, so sorry if the quality is bad.
http://youtu.be/eA75vIS03nE

And apparently, I cannot figure out how to embed the video either. So sorry for the extra link
http://youtu.be/eA75vIS03nE

Last edited:
Sure sounds like collapsed lifters or something similar to me, I think you are on the right track. Might try some Marvel Mystery Oil or other snake oil "magic in a can" type product to unstick them before replacing them, but no guarantee that it will work.

Make sure to check on the condition of the cam while you have the lifters out if you are replacing them.

But the question is how long do I have to run the jeep in order for that stuff to take effect? Beings that I haven't even lowered it from the jack stands yet, i've only started it in the garage so far.

I've only used the seafoam stuff in my gas tank, but I've read adding it to the oil may free up the lifters. How would you go about adding MM oil to the lifters? I have that stuff sitting right next to the jeep on a rack, so that would be super easy.

Thanks again for all your insight!

Okay, used the seafoam and marvel both did little to nothing for the motor as far as sound goes. After using this, I turned to more extreme measures and went to pull the head.

So, 12 new lifters, and a whole other set of rocker arms later and still have the sound. The older lifters had no cupping and actually looked pretty decent, but I changed them out anyway. Now the noise is a lot less noticeable, but nonetheless is still there. I can take another video of the jeep as it sounds now if it would help out any.

Now I am starting to wonder if the noise is an exhaust leak? I've read that the newer style exhaust manifold that is on the year 2000 cherokee would not fit on the 0630 head, but when I was looking at it, they seemed to line up pretty good, and since I was trying to keep the costs down and not buy a whole new exhaust, I just figured it would probably be fine. So I installed my 2000 manifolds on the 0630 head with a new gasket and called it a day. I also know that the noise is louder underneath the jeep, especially on the driver side. When using a wooden dowel to the ear (same method as the long screwdriver), I don't really hear anything knocking, anywhere. When putting the dowel on the lower end of the motor, it is almost silent, most of the noise I can hear is when I put the dowel on the head right where the intake and exhaust bolt on. Maybe using a hose of some sort and having somebody move it around the motor in certain areas while I stand back and listen would isolate the noise, could possibly tell me whether the noise is coming from the exhaust area?

Does anybody know if bolting a 2000 manifold to a 0630 is definitely a problem, or know anything about putting a 2000 year manifold on a 99' head?

Im hoping that driving the jeep isnt going to damage anything because I am coming down to the last few days with a loaner car and really don't want to have to get another.

Does anybody know if bolting a 2000 manifold to a 0630 is definitely a problem, or know anything about putting a 2000 year manifold on a 99' head?

There have been many posts about this including ones with pictures showing why the newer manifold won't work with the earlier heads. The pictures show that there is not enough surface on the manifold to hold the gasket into place. Someone was selling an adapter plate to put in between, but then it seems like you'd need two gaskets.

Back