• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Blower motor stopped working...

Any tricks to popping that relay out? Mine seems to be stuck in there REAL good and I don't want to pry on it too much and risk messing up the connector. :(

Jeep definetley had a HVAC wiring fail. Glad you found it :)

Mine works most of the time, but every so often it sticks. The pins are also discolored from the years of use. It's time to replace it, I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Nevermind. I got it out...and I'm 99% sure it was the problem. The underside is melted pretty good. So is part of the connector.

Guess I better get around to it soon before mine ends up melted like yours...

Hopefully your relay harness is still in usable condition and this ends up being a $5 fix.:yelclap:

Picked up the new relay today, slapped it in and I now have my blower motor back. Thanks for all the help!!!

I am going to try and hit the junkyard this weekend to pick up a replacement connector. While everything is currently working fine, I'm not comfortable with the damaged connector. It looks like I should be able to just replace the plastic portion so I won't have to deal with any splicing of wires. I'll keep you guys posted.

I'm also going to be getting a fire extinguisher or two to keep in the XJ... ;-)

You probably need to replace your blower motor resistor block.

Only works on high means that the thermal fuse in the resister is melted. You can get a JY resistor or solder in a new thermal fuse from Radio Shack. Many how to threads if you search a little.

When a blower resistor gives up it's because the internal resistors have failed and gone open. The resistors only come into play at less than full speed, so when they crap out that's all you get.

Usually though, it's just the thermal fuse in the resisotor block, instead of the actual resistance elements themselves. I worked with these in warranty.

You are correct in the high circuit bypasses the resistor completely.

I wonder if the relay could actually be the problem with my fan not blowing at all??? See the A/C selector switch post. I was told the problem was the complete selector switch when it would not blow at all (but fan worked fine when jump tested). Am I correct in reading this out?

I wonder if the relay could actually be the problem with my fan not blowing at all??? See the A/C selector switch post. I was told the problem was the complete selector switch when it would not blow at all (but fan worked fine when jump tested). Am I correct in reading this out?

I just saw in your other thread that you're dealing with an '85. I really have no idea how they are wired up. I'm not even sure if they used a relay as part of the circuit on the early models. If they did and you know where it's at, test it. Couldn't hurt...

Back