• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Blower Motor Issue

bevs4xj

NAXJA Forum User
After plenty of research I'm stumped.

'96 XJ

Blower motor stopped working the other day on ALL settings. Fuse is good, pulled the motor and tested on battery; spins up fine.

Also, when switching the A/C lever on I hear a weird gurgle noise somewhere in the vicinity of the glove box for a second, then silence. But my compressor doesn't click over and spin.

What should I check next?

Blower relay? Where exactly is it?

Connections to switches in dash?

Or something else? Up until it stopped working, everything worked exceptionally well. A/C was super cold, heat was hot, and it blew really well from the vents. No weird noises before it went out. Just looking for some advice before I rip into it further.

Thanks in advance.

it sounds as though you're not sending power through the blower switch since neither the AC compressor nor the blower motor is working when they should. The blower resistor wouldn't change the operation of the AC and vice-versa.

I'd pull the HVAC controls and verify power to the switch-- bad fuse or wiring would cause no power.
If it's got power getting to the switch, I'd check for power out of the switch-- burned contacts in the switch or in the plug are common.

Replace the item that has power to it but not from it (key on, obviously).

Try this:
Blower resister. Mounted up under the glove box. It mounts with the business end into the air box, for cooling. They burn out eventually. Find it, pull it, test each section for continuity. This is the gizmo that the switch talks to that steps the speed of the blower. Do the wiggle test first. Maybe the harness just got bumped loose.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/R...y=1&N=599001+101996+50038+2038004&Ntk=Keyword

$9 bucks new.

Blower motor stopped working the other day on ALL settings. .

Try this:
Blower resister. Mounted up under the glove box. It mounts with the business end into the air box, for cooling. They burn out eventually. Find it, pull it, test each section for continuity. This is the gizmo that the switch talks to that steps the speed of the blower. Do the wiggle test first. Maybe the harness just got bumped loose.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/R...y=1&N=599001+101996+50038+2038004&Ntk=Keyword

$9 bucks new.

generally when the resistor fails, you will still have "high" setting, as the resistor is bypassed for full power.

Back