• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

blotted out license plates

Nate_Bob

NAXJA Forum User
I was wondering why everybody blots out their license plates? My brother posted a picture of his jeep on some other forum, and a couple of people told him he should fuzz out his plates. He asked why, and nobody could tell him. A million people see my plates every day when I drive in to town, so why does it matter if people see it on the internet? There is probably something that I don't understand.

Nate_Bob said:
There is probably something that I don't understand.

Probably.

Sorry. It was hanging out there and I had to take a shot.

The truth: I have no idea. I did 'cause I'd seen others do it. I do that kind of crap all the time :dunce:

Call it a privacy issue, call it personal security. If you post that you've done so much to a vehicle, and spent a lot of money on it, but didn't get custom paint or made it a "sleeper," you'd want to give thieves as little advantage as possible.

Granted, in some cases it's foolish, but I can see the point every now and again (there are some projects I've worked on where they'd be either "fuzzed" out or I'd take the pictures without plates in the first place.)

Now? I'd say it's due to the "Fifth Force" - the Force of Habit.

5-90

because it makes people think they're being sneaky.

Because, the net if full of freaks and weirdos, and for $25 you can have a DMV lookup done, you dont even need a P.I. linceses. If someone wanted to hunt you down, it can easily be done, and you would never know its happening.

I call it security. If you want to post your tags in the open, thats for you to decide. If you cant see the risk involved, then thats on you.

I dont even trust everyone I meet in person, and I trust no one Ive never met in person at all. Thats just a "keep it safe" attitude.

MyJeepXJ said:
Because, the net if full of freaks and weirdos, and for $25 you can have a DMV lookup done, you dont even need a P.I. linceses. If someone wanted to hunt you down, it can easily be done, and you would never know its happening.

I call it security. If you want to post your tags in the open, thats for you to decide. If you cant see the risk involved, then thats on you.

I dont even trust everyone I meet in person, and I trust no one Ive never met in person at all. Thats just a "keep it safe" attitude.
Well, I could look up where you live just by checking your IP address, so seeing your license plate would be the expensive way of tracking someone down. There is always a way to track someone down if you really want to.

xjj33p3r said:
Well, I could look up where you live just by checking your IP address, so seeing your license plate would be the expensive way of tracking someone down. There is always a way to track someone down if you really want to.

This is a perfect example of the internet being full of freaks and weirdos as said in the post before this.

There are a ton of crazy people out here in internet land who have nothing better to do than bother people who try to use the internet.

I've never used photoshop or anything to block out my plate

I got a bottle of spray stuff a few years ago that I put on my plates- I think it was originally designed to cheat toll-booth cameras,- it reflects camera flash-

DSCN1015.jpg

You can get my city and state by way of the IP address, but not my home address, you would have to get that from my ISP and if your not an LEO then good luck, they dont just give out that info.

Ever drive behind a car that had that stuff on it at night? Yeah, it reflects headlights too, actually light in general. I dont know about where you live, but in CA its illegal, and its not that hard for a cop to pull up behind you and notice that he cant read your plates. Just letting you know...

nitrogt101 said:
Ever drive behind a car that had that stuff on it at night? Yeah, it reflects headlights too, actually light in general. I dont know about where you live, but in CA its illegal, and its not that hard for a cop to pull up behind you and notice that he cant read your plates. Just letting you know...

I've driven behind it before- with high beams on, it does reflect, but with low, or in daylight, it looks just like a normal plate. I don't know if it's illegal or not here- really don't care, It'll just have to wait until it gets washed off by the rain.

Otherwise, I think it's cool. I got one of those transponder things for the tolls, so the only time I would have a picture taken is if the tollway's system broke, or thier crappy little plastic box you stick to the winshield died.

BCParker said:
I got one of those transponder things for the tolls, so the only time I would have a picture taken is if the tollway's system broke, or thier crappy little plastic box you stick to the winshield died.

I'm so glad CA doesnt have toll booths and tollways. :D We just pay high taxes, thats all. hasta People try to use that stuff out here to get away from the camera's in the intersections. I see it all the time, reflects off my low beams, enough to where I cant make out the numbers. Maybe I just have bright lows. LOL

I've thought about using it, I believe its just a fix-it ticket anyway. Just like the $15 fix-it ticket for not having a font plate in CA. I havent been cited for that one yet, so all is good. :D

P.S.-sorry for stealing the thread. :laugh3:

The plates here in Va are "reflector-ized" as a safety issue.A flash pic will not pick up the numbers but direct light or headlights will not wash out the numbers/letters.
Wayne

614 3317?

westsacxj said:
its called paranoia. not secruity

word.

mine's 863 MVG. good luck with that - contrary to what is obviously popular belief, you CAN'T just go to the DOL and get ANY info from that. at least in washington...

Dookie said:
word.

mine's 863 MVG. good luck with that - contrary to what is obviously popular belief, you CAN'T just go to the DOL and get ANY info from that. at least in washington...

Cool. You live in the Shoreline area of North Seattle, and now I have your license plate #.

I bet I could find you.

There aren't that many jeeps in Sore-town...just kiddy cars and BMW's.

nitrogt101 said:
I'm so glad CA doesnt have toll booths and tollways. :D We just pay high taxes, thats all. hasta

BS!

ever been to the bay area? it'll cost you $5- to cross the golden gate and $3.00 to get across any other bridge...

what about the fast pass lane in the LA Valley?

Oh - and my plates reflect too - just as the state of CA makes them...

and i dont block them out - i figure im the only yahoo in Lincoln, NE with a grey 2 door cherokee on full widths with a CA plate anyway - what does my number matter -

look at my webage - all my plates are visible...

Back