• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Blinker Module...

If you're referring to the flasher unit for the turn indicators and hazzard lamps, they're down on the fuze panel, under the dash, somewhat forward of your left knee. They're two smallish (about 1" diameter) round silver cans. Part number 552 if you need to replace them - about $3-4 each.

They can also be had as "electronic" units, which run closer to $10-12 each, but are more reliable, have greater longevity, and are more tolerant of load changes (like when you hook up a trailer.) I run electronics whenever I change flashers, just to save myself the headache. I've been using them for a number of years, and haven't had to replace an electronic unit yet.

Why do you ask?

5-90

I'm trying to troubleshoot my blinker problem, and I was advised to try changing them out. I changed one for the other, thinking this would isolate my problem, but when I left the hazzards flashing and removed one, they kept flashing, so I removed the other, thinking I had the wrong one, and they still kept flashing. Am I wrong in my thinking that if I remove the "Hazzard unit" they should stop flashing? I was told that if I swappedd them, because they are on a seperate circuit that the blinkers should work with the hazzards module. I'm thinking of just replacing both of them. So in short, I wanted to make sure that I was swapping the right part. They're little metal fuse sized "cans" I guess, like you described. No paint, just plain dull silver right? Thanks.

Yah - they're aluminum, "in the white." Dull silverish...

Correct - if you pull the hazzard flasher while the hazzards are going, they should stop entirely (not stop flashing and stay on, stop flashing and stay OFF.)

I don't recall offhand which is which, but they're usually labelled on the fuze block proper anyhow.

5-90

Superlunchbox said:
They're little metal fuse sized "cans" I guess, like you described. .

"Fuse size"? They should be about 1.25" around. If I recall correctly there are a couple of smaller "cans" but the flashers will be the largest ones. And yes, they are swappable.

Okay, when you say "cans" are you saying they're cylindrical? Because the things I'm referring to look just like a fuse, but with a metal "Jacket" on them. Are these not them?

Those are not them - they're circuit breakers. They're a little larger than the fuzes, but they're still rectangular.

The "flashers" are cylindrical metal cans - they're about 1" high, and 1" to 1-1/4" across. They're in the very corners of the fuze block, one up top, and one down below. If you pull them out and turn them over, you should see two 1/4" blade terminals at right angles to each other. The circuit breakers have two 1/4" terminals that are on the same line with each other.

5-90

Okay, it's not the can in the fuse panel. I got two replacements, and swapped in the working hazards unit to no avvail. Looks like i'm taking apart the steering column tonight. Cheers.

This is wiring but it shows the blinkers in there actual location.

87.jpg

Back