• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Biggest tire size without a lift...

jtkratzer said:
Something like these for shackles??
No shackles. Save for a proper lift or go with the heavy duty leaf and coil springs, will net you 1 inch or so.
Sam

Take a GOOD look at your rear leaf springs.. they are probably flat or worse. You can do a 2" budget lift really cheap with just coil spacers and shackles and/or AAL (add-a-leaf) Search for it on ebay ... Rubicon Express .. or check w/ jeepinjoes.com I do suggest full leaf packs at some point though. Tirerack.com has the 30x9.5x15 BFGs for $115.......maybe you were looking at wheels.

Tomynoks said:
Take a GOOD look at your rear leaf springs.. they are probably flat or worse. You can do a 2" budget lift really cheap with just coil spacers and shackles and/or AAL (add-a-leaf) Search for it on ebay ... Rubicon Express .. or check w/ jeepinjoes.com I do suggest full leaf packs at some point though. Tirerack.com has the 30x9.5x15 BFGs for $115.......maybe you were looking at wheels.

Leaf springs and shocks are both good to go for now...no need to replace either.

If your springs are in good shape then you are good to go, you won't regret 30s. The only thing I would really suggest is somekind of towhook bracket, front receiver, etc to hook to in case you need to be pulled out or pull someone else out. Even with light wheelin theres a good chance at some point you'll get stuck.

I don't know if they made many different XJ wheel opening sizes but from reading all these posts you would think so.

30" will NOT work on stock XJ with stock wheels, especially if your going to drive it. I didn't say they wouldn't fit. Just not driveable.

30" will NOT work with a 2" lift and stock wheels if you want to tow anything.

I have a 2000 XJ Limited with an OME 2" medium duty lift. I had 245R75/16 put on stock wheels (equals 30") and I had 3/4 inch clearance front and rear of the tire. Also rubbed when trailer was loaded.

Went back to tire store had them change me to 235R70/16 and the Jeep looked great and was actually useable and driveable.

I would not go over the 235R70 on a stock XJ. By the way Bridgestone Dueller AT Revo tires are awsome if using for daily driver.

jeep_400x300.jpg

jvancamp, feel free to come down to Ga and you can ride in my stock '96 with 30s and I'll introduce you to all the people who have seen me and ridden with me for the last 2+ yrs with the setup you say is not possible. We can go do some wheeling too if you want, cause it works as well offroad as it does as my daily driver. As far as towing, I never tow more than lawnmowers and fourwheelers(works fine) so I don't know about heavy towing. You have a nice looking Jeep there and since I've never owned a 97+ I can't say what will fit or won't fit on them. As much as I like hearing everyone on this forums opinions and experiences, don't tell anyone that a setup that a lot of people run will not work. If it will not work on yours, tell them that, but don't say it won't work on anyone else's.

jvancamp said:
30" will NOT work on stock XJ with stock wheels, especially if your going to drive it. I didn't say they wouldn't fit. Just not driveable.

I've had my '92 flexed to the point of lifting a tire with the rear sway disconnected with no rubbing. 1500 lbs of paver stones in the back for 20 miles - no rubbing. I fail to see how that is "undriveable." Towed plenty of heavy trailers with my Jeep on its 30s, and felt like the Jeep had plenty of power.

Perfectly satisfied with my 30s for a year and a half.

jvancamp said:

Speak for yourself. 2" on 30's. I tow stuff pretty often too.

1192194801.jpg

(Sorry for the poser pic but it was the quickest one I could find to prove a point)

Oh yeah, this is not maxed out on flex either...let me see if I can find some better ones of actual wheelin.

jvancamp said:
I don't know if they made many different XJ wheel opening sizes but from reading all these posts you would think so.

I have a 2000 XJ Limited with an OME 2" medium duty lift. I had 245R75/16 put on stock wheels (equals 30") and I had 3/4 inch clearance front and rear of the tire. Also rubbed when trailer was loaded.

Went back to tire store had them change me to 235R70/16 and the Jeep looked great and was actually useable and driveable.

I would not go over the 235R70 on a stock XJ. By the way Bridgestone Dueller AT Revo tires are awsome if using for daily driver.
perhaps that was your experience, but I drove and wheeled just fine with 31's on a stock suspension, so I know for a fact that 30's will fit the older body style.
Perhaps it's the newer body style with the bumper wrap around that causes the problem. Where did the 30's rub?

Oh, and techinically you have 30" tires on it now..
a 245 75 r16 is 30.5"x9.6"
a 235 70 r16 is 29"x9.3

most's 30" talle tires end up being about 29"

Last edited:
Anyone have any pictures of their XJ with 30 or 31" tires with a stock setup (no lift). Wheelin pics are fine, but I'd like to see how it sits just in a driveway or how it looks on the road.

Thanks again.

Difference in tire size I posted is 1.5 inches. Since the wheel opening on an a 2000 XJ is not rounded but rather squared off the closest clearance is front and rear of the tire. Not above it. With extra 1.5 inches of tire diameter it only leaves about 3/4 of an inch on these two tight areas.

Maybe there is a large difference in the 97+ XJ's. All I'm saying is I just did exactly what is discussed here "based on recommendations from this forum" and it wasn't good. Wheel it, drive it, rub it. Still not going to work as one would expect. I'm glad it only costed me labor to change to what I have.

I wanted to wheel a little and drive a lot and wanted it to be as if nothing changed but the looks.

Below shows the 30 inch on my XJ with a 2" OME lift. Look to the rear of the wheel opening with no passengers, gear or trailer connected.

I don't have a good side shot with the 235 tires on but the second picture shows I did gain a little more clearance.

Then the trailer that let me to my conclusions. (trailer pic still had the 30's on, backs were touching)

Appologize if I ticked a few off. I just went through this and it wasn't without facts.

old.jpg

trailer.jpg

Here's my 99, also stock with 30x9.5x15

jeep.jpg

jeep1.jpg

jeep3.jpg

Dave

Dave, those look great, too. I wonder why the other guy had trouble with 30s...interesting. And just to make sure, the 30x9.5s will fit on the stock 15" wheels? I should get new wheels anyway, mine are worn pretty good.

Back