• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

big enough trailer

H8PVMT

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
On stock axles, would a 7'x16' dual axle trailer with brakes with 5k weight rating be enough to tow an xj safely?

I prefer a 18' trailer so I can move the Jeep around some and get the tongue weight right. Width should be okay.

My XJ weighs in at 4500# in trail ready configuration. Thats full armor, tools and spares.

Getting it for 400 and work is going to buy me new tires and re deck it for me if I let them use it

I had a 16' dove tail and it fit fine. Especially for $400, that is a great deal and leaves room in the budget for improvement.

5 lug axles?

should be 3500 each and the trailer probably weighs 2k so that's my guess that the 5k is the payload.

my single place is a 16 ft deck with two 3500lb axles and I've been using it to haul my jeeps around for 15 years.

mac 'use the crap out of it' gyvr

I agree, for $400 jump on it! It will fit fine no worries there, I just like the ability to move the Jeep fore and aft to adjust the ride and handle of the trailer.

My first trailer was a 5K dual axle 5 lug. It is not enough for an XJ, sold it to a guy who hauls a buggy.

My XJ weighs in at 4900 pounds.. 7K trailers usually weigh about 1400-1800, so 7K is just barely enough for the jeep..

My doesnt have heavy parts so I'm well under 4k
Picked it up today, at worst I fix up and sell

The gvwm is 7k according to the manufacturing certificate

I pulled mine on a 14' dual axle trailer from Oklahoma to North Dakota from hot and dry to cold and wet/icy. Pulled nice. XJ completely filled the trailer but had zero problems. Maybe I got lucky, but it has worked fine for me.

Mine's a 12ft deck. Its all 1/4" plate. axles are 5 lug 3500s with Electric brakes. Trailer weighs around 2k, Jeep weighed around 4500 But It is/was as much weight as i would put on that trailer.. The trailer has so much "Scrub" that I'm doing services every 5 times I use it.. I dont feel confident to take this thing on a 2200 mile trek with that heavy of a load

Then I borrow this trailer, and its perfect.. 5500lb axles.. It will haul my truck easily.. so hauling the jeep is an easy task.. Honestly, I forget its behind me!

My conclusion? a 16ft trailer with 3500lb axles will "Do" but you WONT be dissapointed if you can afford bigger :)

Bought it a few weeks ago

My xj weighs about 1k less than your zj, put my rig on the deck and it fits perfect

Back