• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Big Bear Trail Suggestion

Spearfisher XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Me and the old man are going for a dual sport ride on Friday and I'd like some suggestions to some moderate trails for the old dude. He just bought a 2013 KTM 500exc and wants to go try her out in BB. He's good for a 52 year old, but it's his first time in the dirt with the new bike so nothing too hard. Just some fire roads with a couple smaller obstacles for him to try the new bike out on. This is a ride for him, and I'm just tagging along (If it was my choice to where to ride we would be doing hammers!!).

I've done some trails in the XJ in BB, but only harder trails such as JB/DC, so I'm not that familiar with the trials but I do have a general knowledge of the area.

Also, I'm sure its a long shot, but is there any snow left?

Thanks guys

-Blake

I'd go for the pinnacles and devils hole area myself, some nice semi technical riding(but even I can do it) and you can stop and check out devils hole as your lunch break. Sorry I don't have trail numbers, no maps here at work.

I'd stick to the fire roads. Maybe run down Crab Flats Road to 3N16 to start, if he's doing well hit Jacoby Canyon (left turn at Doble Mine) out to 18, hop across 18 to 3N03 and play around Cactus Flats before continuing to 2N02. From 2N02 you can turn down 2N01 and finish up with 2N04, a moderate trail with some steepish climbs and small rocks.

Where are you starting from? Do you want a loop or out and back? Are trailering in or riding from.home? Where is home?

I'd stick to the fire roads. Maybe run down Crab Flats Road to 3N16 to start, if he's doing well hit Jacoby Canyon (left turn at Doble Mine) out to 18, hop across 18 to 3N03 and play around Cactus Flats before continuing to 2N02. From 2N02 you can turn down 2N01 and finish up with 2N04, a moderate trail with some steepish climbs and small rocks.

Sounds like he would like it. Thanks!

Where are you starting from? Do you want a loop or out and back? Are trailering in or riding from.home? Where is home?

Start anywhere in BB. We are coming from Garden Grove (home), will have the bikes in the back of the pickup. A loop would be nice, but we could always just jump on a highway/backtrack our way on the trail.

Back