• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Big Bear Birthday Play!!! Oct 20th...

rpraterxj

NAXJA Forum User
Hey gang,

since the server crashed, I need to post this again. I have done a birthday run for past few years in Big Bear and this year is not different. My borthday is Oct 24th and I have for the 27th, so the 20th works the best.

Sat. Oct 20th. Trails will be determined, but it will NOT be Deep Creek, Gold Mountain, Holcomb Creek, or John Bull. Some of the forest is still closed due to the fire anyway.

I want to run something different, don't realy care of the difficulty rating. I am dreading up on Pontiac Sluice, Heartbreak Ridge, Rattlesnake Canyon, Onyx Loop, etc...

Meeting place is the Discovery Center at 8:30 AM.

This is NOT a sanctioned NAXJA run.

Minimum requirements:
tow points front and rear
spare tire or patch kit
tow strap
seat belts

Rock rails, lockers, lift, is all up to you. Due to the fact that I don't know these trails I do not know what to expect. Rock rails are always recommended. A CB will be nice.

If anyone knows any of these trails or other nice trails and would like to lead and give advice, please do.

I have maps and GPS, so I am sure we will be fine.

After a day of wheeling, we can all go into town for dinner somewhere and have a birthday toast!

May run Gold Mountain & Jacoby or something on Sunday on the way home. I plan on staying overnight. I also plan on bringing my XJ and my wife will be in her TJ.

Who's in? If you posted in the old thread, please re-post here.

Thanks!

Leep said:
Robert, good seeing you at ORE today. I would love to go but I want to get clearance from the DR before I do anything. I would really love to tho.

Have a good time anyway.

Dennis

Thanks Dennis! It was great seeing you as well! My wife wants to hang out with you and your family more and of course go HB riding....

As soon as you get the OK, let em know and we can go on a "recovery run"!

Hey Robert I was REALLY hoping to make this run but now that I'm driving my XJ daily it's in bad need of tires. I was hoping to have enough $$$ saved by now for the new BFG's that are out but other crap has come up that is taking a big chunck of the $$$$ I have saved :cry:.

If I hit the Lotto :laugh: or find a real good deal on meat I'll be there for sure & if not have a great time!

Billy

Billy, what kind/size tire are you looking for. Lately we have found some really good deals on some stuff. plus I have a set of BFG on some painted outlaw II wheels that is for sale.

Dennis

hellbilly04 said:
Hey Robert I was REALLY hoping to make this run but now that I'm driving my XJ daily it's in bad need of tires. I was hoping to have enough $$$ saved by now for the new BFG's that are out but other crap has come up that is taking a big chunck of the $$$$ I have saved :cry:.

If I hit the Lotto :laugh: or find a real good deal on meat I'll be there for sure & if not have a great time!

Billy

looking for a set of 315-75-16's. If wheels come with the deal they need to be 6 on 5 1/2 Chev pattern. Really want them new BFG KM2 meats.
Thanks Dennis.

Billy

Leep said:
Billy, what kind/size tire are you looking for. Lately we have found some really good deals on some stuff. plus I have a set of BFG on some painted outlaw II wheels that is for sale.

Dennis

Billy. I dont have anything like that but I will def keep my eyes open. I do have a set of 6 lug wheels that you can have if you want them. Prob would be good for a spare set for wheeling or whatever.

Dennis

hellbilly04 said:
looking for a set of 315-75-16's. If wheels come with the deal they need to be 6 on 5 1/2 Chev pattern. Really want them new BFG KM2 meats.
Thanks Dennis.

Billy

Hey gang,

I am working on the possible trails right now. I have made my arrangements to stay for the weekend. I am heading up on Friday around lunch.

It is cold up there at night. I will keep an eye on the weather for the wheelin day.

For those looking to come up Friday night or staying Sat night (or both), give JJ a call at www.bigbear1.com. She was the lady that hooked us up for Mike's party. She has rooms and cabins available.

OK, Looking for help here. I need help on the trail options for this run.

I do not want to run Gold Mountain and John Bull again. I want to run trails over off of hwy 38.

Looking at the CA Backroads book (Charles A. Wells), Sequoia's site, and Forest maps, I think that Rattlesnake Canyon, Heartbreak Ridge, and Onyx Loop will be the best best.

These are long trails, mostly mild with some moderate areas (according to the books). I am trying to plan the best possible route.

This will be an ALL day ride with lunch on the trail. Please bring food and water.

Always be prepared for weather changes. It will be cold at night and in the morning when we start. I will post weather updates later next week.

If anyone know these trails, please let me know what you think of them and the best possible route.

These trail shoudl accommodate almost everyone, so come on out.

I am heading up Friday around Noon. We will be having dinner at Paoli;s Italian Food in Big Bear around 6:00. Please feel free to join us if you are there.

My cell # is 714-319-7135.

Thanks!

OK, I am trying to get a headcount on who is or might be wheeling with us next Sat.

Please let me know by posting here.

Additionally, if you would rather run Gold Mountain and John Bull instead of Rattlesnake Canyon and Onyx Loop/Pontiac Sluice, please let me know. I would rather have more folks show up and run what they want to, instead of folks not showing because they don't want to do easy wheeling.

POST UP!!!!!!!!!

I plan on making it... Unless something unforseen happens between now and Saturday morning. We will be driving up in the morning, taking off from Long Beach between 5:30 and 6am

Brendan_91XJ said:
I plan on making it... Unless something unforseen happens between now and Saturday morning. We will be driving up in the morning, taking off from Long Beach between 5:30 and 6am

Sweet!

There were a couple of folks talking about driving up for the day. Maybe you guys can meet somewhere and drive-up together?

See you Sat. morning!

Works for me... I may bring the boss along as well, he has an older CJ.

Brendan_91XJ said:
Works for me... I may bring the boss along as well, he has an older CJ.

The more the merrier...

Trails will not be too difficult, but we will find an area to play (optional).

Back