• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Big Al's Bloggity Blog

BTW, thanks for your help with all of my mustang questions. I ended up passing on my uncles 72 (74? I already forgot lol).

I love Jeeping, I daily drive my junk and the last 4 or 5 years I've spent focused on my XJ. But I love Mustangs, the whole car culture, modifying and building things, hot rods, horse power, the sounds of V8's, grabbing gears, just everything. Cars, Jeeps, motorcycles, anything with gasoline and something that can be tweaked its all me, and I do it for a living. This was my tribute to not only Mustangs, but just the running horse as a symbol and American icon to a whole culture of people like me, and I filled it in with a little something I love too. The flag. Anyway, you mentioned Mustangs so I started thinking and figured what the hell...I'll share a little something...

2011-08-19_18-51-24_3-1.jpg

Well its been a while since I updated my blog. I've been hoarding parts and yesterday I finally had at it and started installing some new junk. I installed 6.5 inch coils, shackle boxes, 4 new nitrogen shocks, junked the Peugeot for an AX15, went from internal to external slave, installed a NP231 with Tera 4:1, Novak shifter and some drop brackets. I also have some 4.5 inch leaf springs to install and a few other goodies.

Before I started...
2012-01-12_16-41-12_373.jpg

3.5 inch RE coils VS 6.5 Rough Country...
2012-01-12_18-14-03_959.jpg

Shackle Boxes...
2012-01-12_20-04-06_154.jpg

Peugeot VS AX15...
2012-01-14_10-38-35_850.jpg

My favorite part...Tera Low!
2012-01-14_18-11-56_710.jpg

I have some trimming to do to get the shifter to fit better and need to decide how I'm going to finish off the tranny tunnel.
2012-01-14_18-02-18_561.jpg

Drop Brackets, still need to install the braces.
2012-01-14_18-11-04_740.jpg

2012-01-12_21-28-23_631.jpg

2012-01-12_21-28-13_149.jpg

2012-01-12_21-27-27_293.jpg

Hopefully everything works out, I'm still waiting for a few things to finish off the clutch hydraulics. We'll see how it goes.

:greensmok Very nice :)

Thanks man, still haven't driven it yet. I sent my front DS out today to get lengthened and Im getting a custom rear one made. Now I just gotta finish the clutch hydraulics and finish trimming the tranny tunnel, add some sheet metal, get shifter boots...torque everything, re align it, install shocks, crap...Im kind of far away..:cry:

Well, I buttoned up the Jeep and aligned it. It drives great! The new shocks are sweet and the suspension doesn't rattle or make any noise anymore. Amazing what tightening some Jonny Joints, grease, and re torquing everything will do. Can't wait to take it to Hollister for a test run!

Last but not least this arrived today...

2012-01-26_09-04-02_610.jpg

Any suggestions on how I should set it up? I can't think of where I want to put the air tank, its just under 2 feet long and 7 inches wide...in the cargo area? Stuff it in the rear quarter some how? under the chassis? I duno...:dunno:

Well, I buttoned up the Jeep and aligned it. It drives great! The new shocks are sweet and the suspension doesn't rattle or make any noise anymore. Amazing what tightening some Jonny Joints, grease, and re torquing everything will do. Can't wait to take it to Hollister for a test run!

Last but not least this arrived today...

2012-01-26_09-04-02_610.jpg

Any suggestions on how I should set it up? I can't think of where I want to put the air tank, its just under 2 feet long and 7 inches wide...in the cargo area? Stuff it in the rear quarter some how? under the chassis? I duno...:dunno:

under the chassis. check out my green heep to see how i mounted my tank if you want.

Yeah, I'll have to take a look and see your set up. Where did you mount your compressor? I was thinking of mounting mine in an ammo can with quick release attachments for the power and air so I can carry it and go or let my buddys use it. Then obviously make a permanent tank set up with an air fitting at the front and rear of my junk.

I only have a mini arb mounted, and that fit under my rear seat where my abs computer used to be. I have a portable for my tires.

my compressor is an arb & mounted under the radiator.

Tim, you never hit that on anything?

I had another idea of getting a Rustys intake tube and then mounting it where my air box is suppose to be. I can't frick'n decide...I also found a tall ammo can that would work perfect but it will interfere with some stuff I made in the rear of my Jeep for storage.

Tim, you never hit that on anything?

I had another idea of getting a Rustys intake tube and then mounting it where my air box is suppose to be. I can't frick'n decide...I also found a tall ammo can that would work perfect but it will interfere with some stuff I made in the rear of my Jeep for storage.

nope, it is stuffed up there.

any room under the rear seat? What about recessing the floor enough to make it fit

i don't know about viair, but my arb compressor is pretty loud.
i don't want to listen to it run inside the heep! :shiver:

I went on my first wheeling trip this weekend since my new build. The 4 to 1 was awesome on the rocks! The torque is amazing, you can release the clutch on anything and it will idle up anything. I found it only stalls if you hit a rock and kind of roll back momentarily. I found you have to actually be on the throttle more to keep it smooth otherwise the Jeep will surge between engine braking/really low lugging and idle, so a nice slow crawl is achieved just off idle. Can't stall the Jeep with the brakes in 1st.

We were suppose to make a run from highway 20 west of highway 16, up through Indian Valley, then west for a bit and head back north, take Love Lady Ridge and pop into Stonyford OHV. A 45 mile unpaved trek on fire roads for a little fun. Well there was a lot of rain and snow and the rangers closed the trails in Stonyford OHV til Sunday. SOOOOO....we winged it and went to Moon Rocks. The weather was awesome, no snow, no rain, just some wind on Friday night that made cooking suck ass but during the day it was windows down and perfect t shirt weather.

Getting a feel for my Jeep. The traction is insane but the rocks are NOT forgiving at all if you F$%! up!
2012-03-23_17-50-17_253.jpg

We left Moon Rocks and went exploring up Pyramid Highway just before Pyramid Lake. Its hard to see but there are some wild horses grazing down in the valley.
2012-03-24_10-57-23_337.jpg

We found one of many mines in Nevada, this one goes about 150 yards into the mountain side and has a few different dead ends. It was pretty cool.
2012-03-24_12-07-53_190.jpg

We found a nice mountain top over looking the lower mountains/valleys with Pyramid Lake in the distance so we stopped for lunch.
2012-03-24_13-43-05_896.jpg

We found this one trail off Eagle Canyon Road and it turned out to be a pretty good wheeling spot, I think its Billy Bob??? But I'm not certain. We ran it top to bottom, not sure how long it was mileage wise but but it took us about 4.5 hours just to run the beginning of the "good part" til the end at the paved road. My Jeep did fine being locked front and rear on 33's but I did use the sliders a lot, messed up a lower control arm mount, rashed an axle tube, kissed the t case, smacked my Currie steering just to name a few. No body damage and nothing broke, didn't even get stuck but that was a good time! We had to stack a lot of rocks for my buddies who were open/open and on 31's. My friends ZJ with one locker, front and rear long arms and 36's did fine.
2012-03-24_18-15-12_43.jpg

Most of the trail was like this.
2012-03-24_18-28-59_196.jpg

My buddy on 4.5 inch long arms and 31's.
2012-03-24_18-59-50_895.jpg

My other buddy on 4.5 inch with short arms and 31's.
2012-03-24_19-06-30_686.jpg

Some other people have had a bad time on this trail, thats a beefy component.
2012-03-24_19-06-38_835.jpg

More of the trail.
2012-03-24_19-26-14_135.jpg

We ended up wheeling the most technical parts at night time.
2012-03-24_19-50-10_634.jpg

Some poor soul lost his Honda engine...
2012-03-24_20-00-12_65.jpg

Last but not least Burger Me on the way home! So good...
2012-03-25_13-26-16_899.jpg

Moon Rocks was a blast! There are tons of trails out there, lots of cool stuff to see, the weather was awesome, the nights were perfect, the views and terrain are beautiful AND the Starbucks off Disc Drive had plenty of hot chicks coming and going! It was a win win win! Hope to go back with in a few months and maybe plan a little more organized trip.

Wow looks like a great trip! Ive always wanted to get out to moonrocks. your 4:1 is making me want a doubler!

Back