• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BFG All Terrains

I would recommend Nokian Vatiiva AT's. I've run them on several vehicles including an XJ. They do well in wet, snow, and ice conditions.

Hmm I may have been wrong about the mileage. I got the lift put on in late Jan of 2008 and I have put around 5,000-8,000 miles on it since.

I am so pleased that there is finally a negative post about these truly terrible tires. I noticed all the same things, at 30 psi, throughout the entire time the tires lasted, which was not long at all.

I like my set but only use them in the winter. They are so grippy that they cause me to loose 2-3 MPG. They don't roll well. I don't have bead locks and run them @12PSI on the trail without a problem. 30x9.5x15

If you run your tires at 35, which should only be done while hauling a heavy load, you are going to go bald in the center of the tire because i causes the tread to bow in the center. I run my 33s at 25 for regular driving and I have to really stomp on it to break them loose in the rain. I had a set of 31s on before and at 35 you are about halfing your traction area. Bring the preasure down. You will notice it rides alot smoother as well.

I am so pleased that there is finally a negative post about these truly terrible tires. I noticed all the same things, at 30 psi, throughout the entire time the tires lasted, which was not long at all.

So 2 bad reviews out weigh 48 good ones? Unless you are used to running toyo proxes the tires should have a lot of traction. Most BFG AT's I've seen can go 30k plus miles with ease. Were yours used or what?

I like mine a lot. I've only had them slide on oily wet roads and ice, and even then they weren't bad considering.

But the stock tires probably were better for street driving. Off-road tires are a compromise. I think the BFG ATs do pretty well all-around, but if someone only drives on pavement I wouldn't recommend them. Can you afford 2 sets of wheels and tires, to cover on and off road? What kind of off roading do you do? Maybe a milder truck/SUV tire would serve your needs better.

So 2 bad reviews out weigh 48 good ones? Unless you are used to running toyo proxes the tires should have a lot of traction. Most BFG AT's I've seen can go 30k plus miles with ease. Were yours used or what?

my dad had a set on his truck that lasted almost 70k miles

my dad had a set on his truck that lasted almost 70k miles

Yeah I have heard they last a long ass time! Now If I only had a Jeep to put mine on! :cry:

I love my km2's. But i would deff lower your pressure down to at leas 30. The xjs are so light to begin with there is no need to run such a high psi in your tires. I run 30 in my 35" km2's because i've always got a bunch of tools and heavy bumpers f/r and a full size spare hangin off the back haha. If it weren't for all the extra weight i'd run 28 ish.

BFG AT KO, bought them new, a while ago, probably 6 years. 31x10.5. They lasted about 20,000 miles before the cords were showing. Everyone I know who has had them has had similar results, so I have no idea why people on here like them, unless they changed to a not-so-soft compound. Professionally aligned, and I did regular 5-tire rotations. 30 psi. They performed terribly on and off the road, not that they would be expected to do good in deep mud, but I would have expected them to be quiet on the road. I never tore a sidewall on them. I won't buy again, but I suspect something has changed, or I got bad ones. I used to go out looking for mud, which most likely has a lot to do with my hatred of those tires, mud is unavoidable around here. I'm happy with the FCIIs I replaced them with, which are conceptually similar, yet they clean out better if I accidentally find some mud, but they were at least as expensive as the BFGs.

BFG AT KO, bought them new, a while ago, probably 6 years. 31x10.5. They lasted about 20,000 miles before the cords were showing. Everyone I know who has had them has had similar results, so I have no idea why people on here like them, unless they changed to a not-so-soft compound. Professionally aligned, and I did regular 5-tire rotations. 30 psi. They performed terribly on and off the road, not that they would be expected to do good in deep mud, but I would have expected them to be quiet on the road. I never tore a sidewall on them. I won't buy again, but I suspect something has changed, or I got bad ones. I used to go out looking for mud, which most likely has a lot to do with my hatred of those tires, mud is unavoidable around here. I'm happy with the FCIIs I replaced them with, which are conceptually similar, yet they clean out better if I accidentally find some mud, but they were at least as expensive as the BFGs.

I always thought they were a super hard compound from the beginning,thats why I say that. I know they don't clean out in the mud but you gotta draw the line somewhere. Mud is also unavoidable around here so thats why I have always ran MT's but I got a set of AT's for cheap the day before my rig got smashed! :(

Maybe you got a bad batch. How could the FCII possibly be quieter? The thread is mostly small blocks nearly perpendicular to rotation, so it's not a very round tire.

cepek_fcII.jpg

I agree with the op,
I had a set of 30X9.5X15s on my old Ford Bronco2 & they sucked on the road, On the beach they were good.
On road, I was afraid to drive the truck in the rain!

I agree with the op,
I had a set of 30X9.5X15s on my old Ford Bronco2 & they sucked on the road, On the beach they were good.
On road, I was afraid to drive the truck in the rain!

A 2.9 bronco II? Why would you be afraid to drive it in the rain? I never spun a tire with my crappy ass mismatched tires on my Jeep in the rain Let alone a set of tires. Me thinks some of you are either A.) Hard on the gas all the time or B.) big Sissies! :D

Maybe it rains so little where these folks live that more grease builds up on the road. It rains a lot here in Houston and I've never had so much as a screeching BFG AT in the wet

I've got 31x10.50 and pressure is 34-35psi

I don't know the exact miles on them but I'd hazard a guess at maybe 30,000-60,000 miles, I don't know exactly.

Hmm I may have been wrong about the mileage. I got the lift put on in late Jan of 2008 and I have put around 5,000-8,000 miles on it since.

Hmmm, thats a huge mileage discrepancy. If you have 30-60K miles on 'em you are probably due for new rubber. lol On the other hand, if you bought the BFG's new when you got your lift and you only have 5-8K miles, time for your first rotation.
Bigger tires require less pressure. At 35psi your rig will knock your fillings loose. Like the other poster stated drop 5 psi and perform the chalk test.
Do you have a digital camera? Can you post a pic of your tread/tire? -B

Last edited:
Back