• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Better spark plug

Better Plugs for a 4.0L

• NGK

Votes: 34 20.0%
  • Champion

Votes: 97 57.1%
  • Bosch Anything

Votes: 23 13.5%
  • Any Basic Plug.. Acdelco Autolite

Votes: 16 9.4%

• Total voters
Champion truck plugs in my 94 4.0l. It started up before it had turned a complete revolution after sitting since last October.

Like Blaine B. I have often wondered what the difference is between the Champion standard and the truck plugs that are so often recommended. Not questioning, just curious.

The PO of my '93 gave me a set of Bosch platinums he hadn't gotten around to installing. Not realizing the 4.0 "simply will not run" on these, I dutifully installed them after a month or so. I continued to get 20 mpg highway and no problems for four years now. I have a set of OEM recommended Champions to install and will expect my mileage and performance to improve considerably (and will be the first to admit it if it happens). In the meantime, I seem to be one of the apparently few exceptions that proves the "rule" about the platinums.

Not sure the type exactly but before watching this site I had new bosch plugs in, I think the +2 type, ran great but always heard on hear to go with champion truck so I did, n better and a little worse, no noticeable diff in fuel economy but misses more than it did, FWIW. I may switch back.

If you go to the Champion website, they have platinums they recommend also. If you use the platinum Chamnpion recommends, they will work fine. And last twice as long as the standard, as long as you don't have extreme fouling issues from oil or over rich mixture.

Well at my local AA I can get the NGK deal with all my tune up needs for a little over 50 bucks. I went to NAPA to quote the champions with napa tune up rotor,cap,wires for over 70 dollars!

Like Blaine B. I have often wondered what the difference is between the Champion standard and the truck plugs that are so often recommended. Not questioning, just curious.

The PO of my '93 gave me a set of Bosch platinums he hadn't gotten around to installing. Not realizing the 4.0 "simply will not run" on these, I dutifully installed them after a month or so. I continued to get 20 mpg highway and no problems for four years now. I have a set of OEM recommended Champions to install and will expect my mileage and performance to improve considerably (and will be the first to admit it if it happens). In the meantime, I seem to be one of the apparently few exceptions that proves the "rule" about the platinums.

Mine ran fine with Bosch although I switched them out after hearing the bad. No noticable difference either way though.

Back