• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Better gas mileage with 4.88's vs 4.56's???

i get 18-19 on the highway with 33x10.5s on 4.56s with a tired motor and tranny.

wishing i went 4.88... le sigh.

Jealous.

My (barely) 31's and 3.55's give me a 14 average.

I hope my soon to be 4.56/33x10.50 setup will be better.

There hasnt been any real evidence that 4.56 gears are weaker than 4.88's. In theory there is less beef behind them, but if you follow the threads you see as many or more 4.56 gears break as 4.88 gears.

I think you meant the other way around.
Most of the time (we are talking about smallish axles here) the taller the ratio
(numerically higher) the weaker the gear set. I have been told it is strictly due to less material on the pinion.
It would be unfair for me to use my personel experience here. When I went to 4:88's I started driving the rig much harder, and then tore up a R&P set.
Up to that point, I had never had any problem with the gears I had run (410 and 4:56)

5.38's and 35's here with a 235k mile 4.0/aw4 with 90-120 psi compression

when i take the long way home (55ish mph with hills) i can squeeze low-mid 20's

if i want to do 75 on the highway i get about 14 though.

staying in 4th gear>switching from 3rd to 4th constantly and slippin some torque converters luggin the engine. as far as milage is concerned

i love being "overgeared". makes me feel like a badass

I think you meant the other way around.
Most of the time (we are talking about smallish axles here) the taller the ratio
(numerically higher) the weaker the gear set. I have been told it is strictly due to less material on the pinion.
It would be unfair for me to use my personel experience here. When I went to 4:88's I started driving the rig much harder, and then tore up a R&P set.
Up to that point, I had never had any problem with the gears I had run (410 and 4:56)

Not to be a nitpicker, but "taller" gears means lower numerically.

I don't think it has to do with the pinion getting smaller as that isn't usually what breaks. I think the pinion gets too much leverage on the ring gear. Every gearset I've seen break has had teeth sheared off the ring gear, and the pinion just had chips due to the teeth being flung around into it.

im lucky to get 14 MPGS on long drives out to the trail. I have 33's and 4.88's I try not to complain. its a Box on Wheels. :p

May just be me but if your getting less than 14 mpg i would have to say something else is the issue. Aside from crazy setups like 5.13s on 31s. I drive like an ass some times and the worse i ever saw was 14. Now on that same set up (410s and 31s) i saw 19.5 and the only thing that changed was driving style. I'm not saying thats the answer but engine and trans issues generaly show there teeth in milage first before things go really bad.

Not to be a nitpicker, but "taller" gears means lower numerically.

I don't think it has to do with the pinion getting smaller as that isn't usually what breaks. I think the pinion gets too much leverage on the ring gear. Every gearset I've seen break has had teeth sheared off the ring gear, and the pinion just had chips due to the teeth being flung around into it.

That what I meant...
:D

I'm curious for some more info on the .88's vs .46's in the strength department... I'm getting ready to gear for the 33's, and I'd like some more pep, hence my leaning towards the .88's. However I've heard a decent amount of people mention the smaller ring gear and strength/longevity issues, which is a concern for me. Any comments?

I finally went 4.56 (5sp tranny) from driving 3.55's & 31's for a while. It was pretty good on the highway with the 3.55s & 31's I could cruise pretty fast, but when I hit the hills in the mountains I had to floor it & then eventualy downshift. On 33's and 4.56 it never happens, I always have the power I need to get up the hills even in 5th gear. I feel like going over 65 starts to bring up the revs really high and the gas mileage down really low, so I rarely drive faster than that, but I wouldnt trade back down for any reason. I am glad that I did not go any deeper because in my opinion highway driving would suck, but if I had a auto tranny I think 4.88s would be about the same. 65mph at 2200 or so rpm.

From what Ive heard and read, Mopar Maniac hit the nail on the head. A full case locker and a good diff cover will strengthen things quite a bit, making 4.88s in the D30 a-ok.

I also heard it said that "people always say 4.88s are weak, but how many people do you know that have actually broken them?"

That statement is why I went with 4.88s and 33s.

That's what I was hoping to hear, and after spending some time talking with the local and trusted 4x shop, I'm going to roll 4.88's in the future.

From what Ive heard and read, Mopar Maniac hit the nail on the head. A full case locker and a good diff cover will strengthen things quite a bit, making 4.88s in the D30 a-ok.

Well, you HAVE to get a new carrier for that D30 if you're changing from original, the break in the carrier is at 3.72 I believe.

When I'm able to change my gearing, I'm not sure if I'll get a locker in the front or not due to the amount of highway miles I need to go to get to the trails, but I will have to get a new carrier anyway.

Honestly I'd lock the rear first on a DD.

I wouldn't.

Lock the front, invisible in 2wd.

x3458734839574930574356

after blowing up my front locker and tossing spiders back in, i hate having only a rear locker. ive wheeled locked/open at each end before and will take having just a front locker over anything else any day off the week

I wouldn't.

Lock the front, invisible in 2wd.
I'm not too worried about the locker being noticeable or not on the street, I'd prefer something in the rear for some extra traction during hill climbs and for playing in the mud.

However I am a bit of a rookie in the locker department, all I really have knowledge in is how the damn things work, meh. Guess I'll be looking into locking the front first, appreciate the infos dudes :)

I would do 4.88's. I run 33's with 4.56's and sure wish I had 4.88's. If you have any hills or mountains at all in any of your driving you will not regret 4.88's.

Ugh... don't tell me that! Lol.

Does it make a difference that I will with 33x10.5's? and not 12.5's?

I already have a lead on a 4.56- 8.25 that I was going to swap in! (I have zj disks.) And I was going to regear the front.

All this debate is leading me to maybe just run 32's for awhile. (Hopefully some 32 inch pizza cutters. Cause I like pizza.)

Back