• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

best years for the xj?

bought my XJ brand new in 2001...always wanted one but was driving company cars for free...anyhow, finally bought the 01XJ cause it was my last chance to buy one new. It now has about 84K miles...no major problems other than a rattle I can't pin down...right now I am using it about 5k miles a year, so it should last me another 25 years or till I die and then some...by that time it will be the best one around because it will be one of the youngest XJ's still available.

ok im 21 and on my 3rd jeep and i actually perfer the coil packs on my cherokee over the other set up. And as far as replacing them its not that hard really.

now the biggest down fall i see with 00-01 is the Lp d30 the d30 sucks period but the lp is the biggest P.O.S. (for more serious use)

just my opinion, but '99 if you like the new body, '96 if you like the old. i, myself, am not partial to the newer body style xj's-too "rounded". i prefer the utilitarian look of a tool shed.

just my opinion, but '99 if you like the new body, '96 if you like the old. i, myself, am not partial to the newer body style xj's-too "rounded". i prefer the utilitarian look of a tool shed.

Ill buy this, but with it being 1996 instead of 1996. 1996 gives you all of the problems of a cut to fit OBDII system, without any of the nicer interior stuff. 1995 retains the older control system.

I'd probably say 99 if you like the new body style or 95 if you like the old style (I do.) I have a 96 - the year you are guaranteed to need an SYE if you lift it at all, even factory upcountry 1" lift had a TSB that basically did a transfer case drop to get rid of vibes. Add that to the list of reasons 95 is better than 96.

id say the 96 its got the cool old look and is extremely reliable ive had mine for a year now and if i wouldve kept up on routine maintenance there probably woudlve been no problems
unfortunetly im lazy and i treat her extremely rough (mainly when she was stock)

I share the opinion that Hellbent does: 96 for old shape and 99 for new shape. I didn't think I was gonna like obd2 due to it "interfering" with performance mods, but it's been extremely helpful w/ tracking down problems and with providing data for monitoring. Out of the 88, 92, 94, and 96 I've owned(I've worked on and sold 95s and a 97), the 94 was the hottest from the factory and responded best to mods.

Back