• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best year?

Ray H said:
As far as drivetrain and powertrain go, any one from late 96 to 99. The late 96s (manufacturered, after Sept. 96) are virtually identical to the 97s as far as drivetrain and powertrain components, which are the same as 98s and 99s. The 96s do have the older body style and interior though.
For strength and aftermarket get one with the 8.25 rear and the 231 TC.

X2 I love my 98

We just had this debat on our local forum. I have 4 XJ's, 90', 94', 96', 00'. All are 4.0, AW4, NP 231, and they all now have 29 spline 8.25's.

I'm partial to the 87-90 RENIX, I have a 90', just did a full resto on it. My 96 has been bullet proof(my trail rig). My 00' is still going strong on the original head(100k). My 94 has had some issue's and needs a rebuild now at 115k.

With all of that said, realisticly the 97-99 are a great choice for DD or trail rig.

I need to buy a 97-99 just to try one out!

Best year.

Wow!,
That was a great response. The info is great. I think I'll start looking at '99s first, and keep the 97's and 98's on tap. I'm still not going to ever say my 84 was the best, even if it was a waggy, wood trim, stacked headlights, 2.8 and all! I think the north 40 is still a good place for it. Thanks again for all the help.
And,
MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TINMAN

Ray H said:
As far as drivetrain and powertrain go, any one from late 96 to 99. The late 96s (manufacturered, after Sept. 96) are virtually identical to the 97s as far as drivetrain and powertrain components, which are the same as 98s and 99s. The 96s do have the older body style and interior though.
For strength and aftermarket get one with the 8.25 rear and the 231 TC.
Ray, didn't they start manufacturing the 96's in July of 95? And anything made after July of 96 would be a 97 model? I'd think a build of Sept 96 would be a 97 model?

My build date of April 96 has the C8.25 rear axle, and OBD II diagnostics.....

Runnin'OnEmpty said:
Ray, didn't they start manufacturing the 96's in July of 95? And anything made after July of 96 would be a 97 model? I'd think a build of Sept 96 would be a 97 model?

It usually is that way. I think Jeep held off introducing the 97s until most of the 96s were gone because, as far as I know, they didnt cut off the old model until the 97 calender year. I bought my 96 in November of 96. Its manufacture date is in October 96, It is the older body style, is titled as a 96 but has 97 drivetrain components such as the 29 spline 8.25. When I got mine in Nov of 96, the dealer didnt even have, or hadnt even seen a 97 yet. they had brochures on the 97s but thats it. They didnt even have a 97 there for me to look at. They didnt even have prices for the 97s yet, (or so they told me)

Youve got me wondering know. Just out of curiosity, I think I'll start another thread to see if anyone has bought a 97 model in 96.

distributers SUCK Love my 2000. No wires no water stalling my motor. no problems with my manifold. ya the high pinions nice....but if your that worried buy a 44

Just to add to the mix a couple more milestones. I believe that 94 was the last year w/o an airbag. IMO, one less thing to wory about on a trail rig. 94 was also the 1st year of 134 A/C, but it was a build date of Jan 04 or later that was the changover, not the model year

cwstnsko said:
94 was also the 1st year of 134 A/C, but it was a build date of Jan 04 or later that was the changover, not the model year

Thats interesting. 95 was the first R134 year for Wranglers.

ManBearPig said:
My 8 1/4 didnt come with my rig. Any way of finding out if its 27 or 29

Probably going to have to pull a shaft out. Thats how I verified my 29 spline

Back