• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

best year & model

XJPhoenix said:
It sounds like pretty good odds to me.

If it has the 8.25 rear end, then it doesn't have ABS. The AW4 is more common than the AX 15, and some folks think it'll last longer too. The HP D30 is the only front axle on the XJ until 2000 or 2001. 3.55 gears are on ALL automatics, unless you have a special order with 3.73, or a 4 cyl (2.5) standard, then it'll have 4.10's and you'll have to watch out for axle-hungry 4.0 guys like me. :)

The 29 spline 8.25 started in 1997, (or was it 1995? I'm really tired and can't remember the exact year...) and was the only spline count.

Best way to find what you're after is to look for a 1998-1999 automatic-equipped 4.0 litre XJ with the 8.25 rear-end. It'll have the options you want, or better.

:)

You're right on about everything & the 29 spline 8.25 started late in 96' so 97'+ 8.25s had then, and some 96' XJs if they were built very late in the year at the end of the run before the updated 97'-01' XJs started up.

96'+ had the nice Spicer 297 dana 44 sized u-joints in the HP30 up front so that coupled with a 8.25 29 spline and you are well on your way to a stout drivetrain. You cannot go wrong with the 4.0L/AW4 auto/231, the AX15 manual isn't bad either and while the auto AW4 is more common in the XJ, you can get the AX15 from the YJs/TJs if you need to.

The 242 Select Trac is a great t-case for a daily driver, it doesn't have the aftermarket support like the 231 Command Trac, but you can still get a SYE for it and that's about all you should do to a 231 anyways....if you want 4:1 gears and a SYE then you should just pick up a 241 Rock Trac from a Wrangler Rubicon owner tearing their stock drivetrain apart and putting in a Atlas or Stak aftermarket t-case.

GlennH said:
What are the odds of finding the following? this is what Im looking for but in the canadian prairies its pretty tough.

-1998 or 1999
-8.25 w/29 spline
-HP Dana 30
-NP231
-Transmisson: AW4/AX15
-4.0L
-NO ABS Brakes
-3.55 Gearing

I have had a few Sport models and they seem to give you the best chance of what you want. Shoot for a 98-99' Sport, preferrably the 99' for the better intake. The 8.25 with the round cover, but flat bottom on the housing is what you want and with it, you will not have ABS breaks. Also a 4.0L auto will get you the 3.55 gears. With the AX15 manual you will get crappy 3.07 gears, I have this in my daily driver and they with anything bigger then stock tires, even then they are not great.

If you want a daily driver/weekend wheeler I'd shoot for a 4.0L/AW4/242 Select Trac with a 8.25 rear axle. This might mean getting the highest trim package like the Classic model, but with what you have above, you should be able to find that in the Sport. The 29 spline 8.25 is a great axle so you get that and you are good to about a 33-35" tire with 4.56 gears.

Gaius said:
I like the 98-99 models for looks, power, and interior over the older models.

edit: Big Red, my 98 Sport has that combo.

What combo 4.0L/AW4/242 30/8.25? That's a nice combo as well, especially for a daily driver in bad weather.

I researched for months (I'm a librarian--go figure), and then I went out of my way looking for a clean, low-miles 1999. They seemed to have (at the time) an average to slightly higher number incidents of electrical problems but fewer mechanical problems than other late-model XJs. I should point out, though, that this research was done in early to mid 2001.

Big Red said:
If you want a daily driver/weekend wheeler I'd shoot for a 4.0L/AW4/242 Select Trac with a 8.25 rear axle. This might mean getting the highest trim package like the Classic model, but with what you have above, you should be able to find that in the Sport. The 29 spline 8.25 is a great axle so you get that and you are good to about a 33-35" tire with 4.56 gears.

My 99 Sport (Chili Pepper Red) has the 4.0L/AW4/242 Selec Trac, with the 8.25 rear end. Great combo!

okcjeeper said:
My 99 Sport (Chili Pepper Red) has the 4.0L/AW4/242 Selec Trac, with the 8.25 rear end. Great combo!

Please sell it to me. You live in GA and I'm in CA, not much difference in a letter right? :laugh3:

I really want a 242 in my 98' 5 speed. I'm busy with remodeling my house and working on my other 3 XJs, but I hope to get a 242 Select Trac at some point in my 98' dd.

Troy

Gaius said:
Big Red, if you were closer I'd trade you... :D

What do you want to trade for which 1 of my Jeeps? I don't mind a little drive, especially up to Oregon.

My 91' wheeler in my avatar is not for sale, well maybe for the right price:
4.0L/AW4/241 4:1 Rock Trak/HP44 5.38s detroit alloy shafts/9" with 35 spline alloy shafts, nodular case, 5.43 gears, detroit with 8" lift and 37" MTRs

98' XJ dd: 4.0L/ax15/231/HP30/8.25 2" lift and 30" BFG ATs

97' XJ: Actively trying to sell 4.0L/AW4/231/HP30/8.25 2.5" lift 31" ATs

87' XJ: Actively trying to sell 4.0L/AW4/242/HP30/8.25 2" bb stock tires on 96-98' Laredo ZJ canyon rims.

94' YJ stock 2.5L/AX5/231/HP30/35 4.11 gears

I love my Jeeps!!!! :)

Troy

thanks for the help everyone. Can i ask one more question about the gearing? I know 4.56 is what is needed for 33's but how bad it is driving on 33's with the 3.55's for-say a year. We only go wheeling 2-3times/month. Very little HWY driving. (30mins max) and it'll be a DD.

GlennH said:
thanks for the help everyone. Can i ask one more question about the gearing? I know 4.56 is what is needed for 33's but how bad it is driving on 33's with the 3.55's for-say a year. We only go wheeling 2-3times/month. Very little HWY driving. (30mins max) and it'll be a DD.

It's not great, but tolerable. Make sure you have a good tranny cooler as you are going to heat that AW4 up (I'm assuming with the 3.55 gears you mention that you have the stock axles and gearing that came with the 4.0L and the AW4 auto trans). I've driven my brother-in-law 91' 4.0L/AW4/231 with 35's and 3.55 gears for a little bit before I put in his current axles with 4.88 gears and the 3.55s weren't too bad, just not something I'd want for a long time.

Not trying to highjack here. I am trying to figure out some similar information too. I was reading, it seems that the hp 30 non disco is a really good front axle. Correct me if I am wrong. Also, the 242 tc is the tc I should look at for this axle setup. I already have 8.25 rear, just need to upgrade a portion of it. Would I need a new tranny for that setup? And how does one id the tranny they have.

Thanks,
Silent

Wha
Silent said:
Not trying to highjack here. I am trying to figure out some similar information too. I was reading, it seems that the hp 30 non disco is a really good front axle. Correct me if I am wrong. Also, the 242 tc is the tc I should look at for this axle setup. I already have 8.25 rear, just need to upgrade a portion of it. Would I need a new tranny for that setup? And how does one id the tranny they have.

Thanks,
Silent
What are you asking here? Do you have an older Jeep with a non-disco front axle?

Silent said:

Thanks,
Silent

The HP, Non-disconnect Dana 30 is a good little axle; light, good ground clearance, plenty of parts, and should hold up to 31" tires.

The 242 T-case is also a solid performer; holds up to abuse fairly well, lots of options for 'best of all worlds' type of folks, and the only drawbacks are limited aftermarket support and a tad more complex.

I don't think you need to upgrade your transmission for any new t-case, or axle setup. All you need are driveshafts that came with whatever setup you'll be going to.

:)

the best set up for a cherokee is a 4.0 h.o., ax-15 tranny, and an 8.25 rear end and a tow package, its that simple

Back