• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best way to remove decals

yossarian19

NAXJA Forum User
I've always dug a simpler, cleaner look. I didn't know how to go about removing the "sport" "4.0L" and "cherokee" decals, though. I mean, after 13 years of being stuck on there, what do you do?
This.
Take a plastic putty knife (a buck at the hardware store) and a heat gun. Use the heat gun on high about 2" from the decal, hold it for a few seconds and then move on, using the scraper behind it. You are basically staging a slow motion chase scene, putty knife behind the heat gun.
You will now notice that the decals shrivel up and scrape off, leaving behind a gooey mess that looks worse than any half-mangled decal ever did.
Go back to the hardware store (or make one trip for both. Whatever) and buy Goo Gone in a spray bottle. Apply it liberally to all the gooey messes you just made with the heat gun.
Let it soak in a few minutes while you do something else (don't you have a leak somewhere?)
SPray it again
Now use a buffing wheel on your drill, grinder, air grinder, air drill, dremel or whatever.
Watch as the gooey mess disappears into an aerosolized black cloud that will now get all over the side of the car.
Spray the rig off with a hose and Voila - no more decals cluttering up the side of your rig!
To recap: heat gun & putty knife, Goo Gone spray bottle, buffing wheel, garden hose. In that order.

I used 3M Adhesive remover and a heat gun when I did decal removal/stripe removal on my 89. I used a 3M rubber eraser wheel on a drill, which helped, but there was plenty of scraping with a plastic putty knife as well.

X2 on the heat gun. I also used a plastic putty knife. A little bit of time and patience it will come right off. I used a little bit of goof off to help with the left over adhesive, gave it a good wash and some wax and BAM! A clean looking XJ.

I just peeled them off.. Yet to get the sticky stuff off tho. Ha!

Avon also sells a product called Skin-so-soft that removes adhesives really well, including the old mess from duct tape.

X2 on the 3m eraser wheel

Back