• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best tire option for trail

What tire?

• TSl 36x12.5 (NOT SX)

Votes: 26 18.2%
  • Goodyear MT/R 37x12.5

Votes: 55 38.5%
  • TSL Q78 (35.5x10.5)

Votes: 19 13.3%
  • Some 35"er

Votes: 43 30.1%

• Total voters
jalehman said:
If you are at only 5.5" of lift and not going any higher, I can't see any tire over a 35" fitting up in the front inner fender well. I'm right around 6" of lift with 35's with around 5.5" of up travel at the shock. I couldn't fit any more tire at all without severe inner fender modifications. The outer fender is trimmed to fit TJ flares. You could fit 37's if you really limited the up travel but why?
I agree! I have 8" lift and would rather stay with my 35" tires. I could go to 36" but the 35s stuff well with out worry of damage.

I would also consider wether or not your doing rocks or mud? My 35" Procomp X-Terrains are great for rocks but not very good for mud.

Since we're playing this game again, I'll throw in a little. MTR's are the most aggresive all terrain tire out there. They suck beezil nuts when it gets gooey. I don't know why, but I've been noticing the bfg at's do better in the goo than the mtr's do. I would put either one on a street driven rig. BUT, if you want the best/ strongest off road tire out there you have to go with an SX or a Krawler.

OneTonXJ said:
Since we're playing this game again, I'll throw in a little. MTR's are the most aggresive all terrain tire out there. They suck beezil nuts when it gets gooey. I don't know why, but I've been noticing the bfg at's do better in the goo than the mtr's do. I would put either one on a street driven rig. BUT, if you want the best/ strongest off road tire out there you have to go with an SX or a Krawler.

Well said, I'll agree....from what I've seen on trails in the south, the mtrs do good, but not when the trail is muddy, I'd take a swamper anyday! Especially the SX....of course I'd take the krawlers too, if I could afford them.

Justin

OneTonXJ said:

That's why a lot of "all terrain" users are going trxus. You lose some rock capability to the MT/R, but you gain mud and snow capability. I think that the trxus is the most aggressive all terrain out there because the MT/R is really a dedicated rock tire, and the trxus plays across the board.

Now to the point of this thread...it seems pretty contrarian to me that anybody need's 36 or 37" tires over 35's when also planning to keep the D30. If you are going to keep the 30 and it's excellent clearance, why not stick with 35's?

Nay

What size D30 U-joints are you using ???
Just wondering how long the U-joints will survive going to tires larger than 33s.
Might consider installing 760X U-joints with full circle clips if you havent already.
Just something to think about...

Charles

Go boggers or go home. My boggers have pulled me through almost everything so far. They have a nice sound on the street too :cheers:
No but seriously once I went boggers I don't think I'll ever go back, espicially if this is just a trail tire

I run tsl radials and have never been happier. They are louder than bfg muds but aren't bad they ride smooth and I was able to balance them unlike the non radial tsl's at that size. I can tackle stuff that I could never do before with these tires, but that might be because of the jump from 31's to 36's.

edit: holy old thread batman!!!
10_1_108.gif

Last edited:
I just picked up a set of Firestone Destination M/Ts. They are louder on the street than my BFG A/Ts but that was expected and they go like hell in the mud. I usually never liked Firestones but I found a good deal and I love em.

I know this thread's old, but since you're still looking for tires:

37" MTR's; on a D30, I wouldn't.

Q/78 TSL's; for me, this is the max I'd run an a D30ft (297's, stock axles)
Nice tires for us eastern guys.

36/12.5 TSL's: great tires, not much weight/price diff, compared to Q's, slightly taller, and wider.
I thought for a long time, but decided my D30 will last longer on Q's than 36/12.5's.

Random 35's: Lots of decent 35" MT's out there, I run 35" General MT's for the street, but switch to the Q's for wheelin.

Weights:

My (new) Q's weighed:
64.5lbs tire only
86.5 lbs on steel 15x7's
78 lbs on alum 15x7's

My (partially worn) 37/13 Boggers (someone mentioned Boggers ;) )
81.5lbsTire only
107.5lbs on steel 15x8's
101 lbs on alum 15x8.5's

Other weights (not verified by me) Tire only:
35x13.5R15 Krawler: 76lbs
36x12.5-15 TSL: 65lbs
36x13.5-15 IROK Bias: 66lbs
36x13.5R15 IROK Radial: 81lbs
37x12.5R15 IROK Radial: 77lbs

Does anyone know how the noise levels of the Truxus compare to say a MT/R or a BFG AT?

I'm thinking about a set for my daily.

r@m

What the hell! I think this guy has already made a decision on his tires and probably broke many d30/35 shafts by now. Who brought this back from 2003?

It was at the top of my forums. I think someone polled it and with no post and brought it back. I know it stopped in 2003 and again in 2004.

and I was just re-reading my 2003 issues of fourwheeler....still disappointing that the rubi even placed behind the excursion, montero, fourunner, AND h2.
hasta

since we haven't heard anything since 04, did he ever go with bigger tires?

Back