• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best Stereo for $100??

Fish'nCarz

NAXJA Forum User
What do you think is the best aftermarket stereo for 97 - 01 XJ for around $100? I want radio, CD,and to use my Ipod, and I don't want to spend a lot of time screwing with it. I really just want to pull the old one and shove in the new one (okay, I'll put the screws and bolts back on!) and have happy fun time sounds.

TIA!

Brian

Last edited:
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666265651#additionalImage1"
someting like this except mine came w 6x9's

Ebay, I bought a used 180$ deck for 60$ a year ago and it still works great.

I just put an Alpine in my 96, bought from Crutchfield.
It was about $110 with ipod and flashdrive capability.

It was bolt-in installation, except for splicing in the
wiring kit that was included.

Here's a website that has awesome deals, i order all my audio stuff from them and shipping is FAST.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/view...k=yes&sort_order=price_asc&f_79=562&f_131=423

www.onlinecarstereo.com and sonic are two great places for finding deals on new stuff.

I would look for something on Craigslist, but if you buy from someone you dont know for cash, make sure they fire it up for you so you know it works. At least with Ebay you have some fraud protection.

I bought a jvc hd radio from crutchfield last year for 99 with a $50 rebate, so total $49 plus the 3.5mm adapter for my ipod = $9 on ebay
Total price of $58 including harness and install kit from crutchfield

Buy Pioneers DEH3300UB. I work at a car stereo store, they sell for $99 they have a usb input on the face that you plug your ipod into, keeps your ipod charged, and has perfect audio quality. don't go with that aux input garbage. Your Ipod will die, and the sound quality is TERRIBLE.

Check Wal-Mart - I don't remember the make or model, but they had an iPod-only receiver for around $120 before Christmas. There's a storage compartment for the iPod built into the head unit - fold down the faceplate and there's a storage cubby plus connector in there for it. Doesn't have a CD player, but I've found that with the iPod wired in I never use mine.

If you're buying used, avoid any Alpine that uses the KCA-120 external iPod adapter. It's total crap in that it's slower than molasses in January; I had one and hated it. The later ones that have the capability built-in are much better, but still not great from the standpoint of navigating what's on the iPod.

If you're buying used, avoid any Alpine that uses the KCA-120 external iPod adapter. It's total crap in that it's slower than molasses in January;
I agree, those adapters are horribly slow, and the one I had would freeze all the time because of the amount of music on the ipod.

What do you think is the best aftermarket stereo for 97 - 01 XJ for around $100? I want radio, CD,and to use my Ipod, and I don't want to spend a lot of time screwing with it. I really just want to pull the old one and shove in the new one (okay, I'll put the screws and bolts back on!) and have happy fun time sounds.

TIA!

Check out CRUTCHFIELD.COM, they ROCK!

Back