• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best Rock Rails For Moderate Off-Road Adventures

What is the best rock rail based on ease of installation, protection, and value?

• Custom 4x4 Fabrication 2x2 Square Rocker Guards $198

Votes: 30 28.0%
  • Kevin's Extreme Duty Rock Sliderz $219

Votes: 17 15.9%
  • Rocky Road Rockrails $249

Votes: 14 13.1%
  • XJ-ARMOUR Rock Rails 3/16 steel w/Powdercoat $265

Votes: 10 9.3%
  • Tomken Rocker Skids 2x4 $269

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • JKS SuperNerfs $374

Votes: 32 29.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
evilpresence said:
Not starting an argument as for I wasn't there and don't know the details, just stating that if you hit any rocker hard enough, it has a chance of giving.
Now if I didn't have Rocky Roads, I would get Kevin's w/o question.

That's true... with a hard impact it should give but here the rails gave (badly). I think that more legs would have spread the load better as well as maybe slightly thicker steel would be a good idea.

I just recently bought Warns and they mount to the pinch seem, the frame, and through the floor. They take a while to install but are very strong. And the tuck in tight to the body. I am very satisfied with them and the price is not that bad for a Warn product.

99XJ said:
I just recently bought Warns and they mount to the pinch seem, the frame, and through the floor. They take a while to install but are very strong. And the tuck in tight to the body. I am very satisfied with them and the price is not that bad for a Warn product.
Well I wonder what will they look like after you land on them...... I've seen them and I was suprised that warn put them out.

IdeaMan said:
I know, I read the whole thing on your website. I got the impression that you really weren't concentrating on the business right now with everything that's been going on. Am I wrong? Because your Rock Rails were one of the top on my list... seem easy to install... other than the standard 2x2, the others seem to have real good protection... and the prices were good.

Question: Did/do your rails come painted, powdercoated, or as bare metal?
Right now I'm focusing on rockrails and have been working getting ahead of the orders which right now I am (first time in over a year). Pretty much have put all the bumpers on hold for now but that's it. Everything I build is shipped out bare metal. There are just so many easy DIY coatings out there that are simple to apply and easy to touch up that most guys want them bare anyways. Powdercoating doesn't hold up to wheeling, especially rockrails so easy touch ups are a good thing. Plus it reduces the cost from me since you don't have to pay for added packing materials to protect any fancy shmancy finish. :wierd:

If I were going to buy a set they would be the JKS ones. From a design stand point i like them the best. Maybe because I built a set just like them before ide even seem the JKS' before. From a price stand point the AJ's look right. I just like the tube angled upward better. Cut out rockers are best though IMO

How many threads do we have about stupid Rock-Rails. How hard can it be to figure out just be using the search button to get enough information to form a decision. Almost all of them perform the same exact function to nearly the same design.

IMO, if your paying over $200 is your wasting your money. For anything over $200, get yourself some tools. Even a cheap arc welder is worth it. Rails are easy to make and a great way to learn a new skill.

I understand if you stuck in an apartment and don't have a place to work. Any other excuse is just plain :rattle:

Sorry had to vent, I feel better. :sunshine:

ChuckD said:
How many threads do we have about stupid Rock-Rails. How hard can it be to figure out just be using the search button to get enough information to form a decision. Almost all of them perform the same exact function to nearly the same design.

IMO, if your paying over $200 is your wasting your money. For anything over $200, get yourself some tools. Even a cheap arc welder is worth it. Rails are easy to make and a great way to learn a new skill.

I understand if you stuck in an apartment and don't have a place to work. Any other excuse is just plain :rattle:

Sorry had to vent, I feel better. :sunshine:

If I could add to that, he wanted

IdeaMan said:
Easy Installation! (consider this the KEY factor when voting)
Good Protection
Value For Your Money

The JKS are $374 on their site. You may as well spend $26 more and get Detours USA which come with frame stiffeners as well. I think that JKS are WAY overpriced.

I'm done.

Custom 4x4 double tube rails have saved my rockers many times. I have some awesome video of me sliding down a ledge on them. No bending....just a little touch-up black spray paint and good as new! :) Best money I've spent has been on all of my skid plates and rock rails.

And for easy installation I drilled all the holes with a cordless drill and used two jack stands to install them. My only gripe was the self tapping bolts for the "frame" mounts. I replaced them after 3 bolts sheared(sp?) off during the test drive down the road (no off roading). I replaced them all with grade 8 bolts and have not had any problems since.

Later,
Rough

I bought tomken's 4x2 inch rock sliders a while ago without really educating myself on the subject. was it a bad idea to get these. I haven't gotten around to putting them on but they look real sturdy, the only thing i can see is they might not have good enough mounting points. what do you guys think

Just stay under $200 and go with RIGID!
They're up tight and only about an inch of clearance lost.

www.rigidco.com

Warn Sliders?

Anyone stick a Hi-Lift under the Warn rails?

They look really tight to the body - any issues that way?

I like the way the Warn rails bolt through the body - creates an even larger sort of "semi-monocoque" structure - gotta help rigidity. Or maybe it's much 'ado about nothin' :)

r@m

Re: Warn Sliders?

Root Moose said:

I like the way the Warn rails bolt through the body - creates an even larger sort of "semi-monocoque" structure - gotta help rigidity. Or maybe it's much 'ado about nothin' :)

r@m

I really don't know about them. It looks to me that if you hit them right you can collapse the whole rocker :eek: Plus the price is just incredibly high for them.

Pretty much every other rock rail out there on the market has at least 2 legs that go towards the frame rail. Part of the job of those legs is to stop rotation of the rock rail around the pinch seam area: without those legs to counteract the roll you could also potentialy rotate the warn rails into the doors/rocker. I know that they bolt into the floor but that floor is flimsy and gives easily (just don't ask me how I found that out :D)

Re: Warn Sliders?

Root Moose said:

r@m
I havent had a hilift jack on them yet, but would not be afraid to try it i landed on some rock prety hard just scratch the powder coat ( don't have a hilift jack...yet)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back