• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best place to mount a stereo amplifier?

I would mount the amps to the boxes.
Make sure that you put a quick disconnect on all wires so you can take the electronics out if you need to.

too bad jl stopped making the custom enclosure for the xj

kewlkatdady said:
I would mount the amps to the boxes.
Make sure that you put a quick disconnect on all wires so you can take the electronics out if you need to.

x2, thats what I did with my single 12". Pic, but it doesn't show it well.
tireside.jpg

Mounted the amp to the back of the box, ran the speaker wires from the amp to the sub in a way that they won't get hung up. Used wood to make spacers to make sure it was off the floor enough to keep from bending and eventually damaging the RCA cables. Just unplug the RCA jacks, and quick disconnects for the power and ground, the whole unit pulls right out for when I need the room.

Starboard M said:
I put my amp on the passanger side floor behind the front seat. I have a 2 door, and no rear seat, so no one sits in the back. I too run with no doors a lot of the time, so hidding it was needed. I simply tucked it under the seat as much as possible, and then put the floor mat over it.
For the sub I put in a homemade box like riverfever suggested. I cut out that cubby thing, and recovered the hole with some sort of cloth. It isnt exactly the same color as the inside, but its fairly close. Now, my entire system cost me $30, so Im not to worried about it getting stolen, and how good it sounds. Luckly no one really know about it and its farily hard to see. Ill take some pics if you want.
I know a guy who ran his that way, Oh and my boy did for awhile. During the Summer it would heat up and Pop the resets. The one guy cut out a hole in the metal below the rear seat along the floor board and put in a 12 volt mini computer fan and took care of his problem. My son just relocated his to the rear cargo area.

iluv83vettes said:
too bad jl stopped making the custom enclosure for the xj

My box is a custom built fiberglass enclosure.
We actually cut out the body panel behind the box and used the space for the enclosure to get the proper volume needed to push a 10w3.
I wanted to use the least amount of cargo space and still have a sub.
Even though JL doesnt make a box anymore,
most stereo shops will make one like this fairly cheap.

Mounting of the amp can be done to a number of differant materials, normally something that does not conduct, for instance kicker zr, dr, zx and a few other series amps do not tolerate being chassis grounded at all, not sure on other types or brands, but I have always stuck to that as a rule

Back