• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best modification??

How good is the best locker when all four tires are gummed up with mud and spinning? :D

BlueCuda makes an excellent point, however, that each of these modifications have a synergistic effect with each other - the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

That said, my non-locked, barely-lifted XJ with 30" BFG ATs wheels a hell of a lot better than I expected it to.

Go get a locker and then report back which was a better mod...tires or locker :D lol.

And your are right about the sum of parts, they all make a difference for sure. What sucks is when you start with a stockish jeep the parts make huge differences, as you get the tires and the lockers and the lifts they do less and less. I am lifted, geared, locked F&R, SYE, fair amound of armor and now all the mods I do cost twice as much and do half as much. Just like my damn race car :tears::D

I agree with the locker(Auburn LSD in my case) and gears. The ZJ rear discs were a great cheap mod too. Now if you wanna spend some money, the stroker. . .

-Upgraded master/booster setup
-Gears
-Tires
-Lockers
-Honda Civic
-New jeep

#1 - Stroker
#2 - D44's w/lockers front and rear
#3 - Long arm/radius arm suspension

Mud tires... but you need the lift to clear the tires. you need the gearing to push the tires. and you need the winch and or lockers for when the tires fail or are just not enough

best mod , coolest mod,smartest mod , least expensive mod , tough question I think that
Shimming the back of the hood a 1/2" which creates a ram air effect and drops temp by ten degrees when pullin the hill going home ( about 1800ft in 8 miles) and very inexpensive to do. none of my other mods will do me any good if she's overheatin' so I'll pick that one.

best mod , coolest mod,smartest mod , least expensive mod , tough question I think that
Shimming the back of the hood a 1/2" which creates a ram air effect and drops temp by ten degrees when pullin the hill going home ( about 1800ft in 8 miles) and very inexpensive to do. none of my other mods will do me any good if she's overheatin' so I'll pick that one.

Hmm you think I can get you to take a pic of that? Thanks

one of my first and favorites...truck nuts
l_39c1bf50e3274f6e8d88f84971f92a4b.jpg

I think the best mod for me was ditching the girlfriend that I lived with when I bought the XJ. She contributed to a tremendous power loss and really hindered my performance on the trail. I tried a few other girls after her but none of them really did anything to boost performance. They looked good but that is not important on a trail rig. Now I have a great dog and my Jeep has never been better.

you think that... but unless ur into beastiality or something... i just dont see the dog being better than a girl, still gotta buy the dog food, still gotta shelter the dog, still gotta buy it stuff like collars leashes etc etc the list could go on, a girl and a dog go hand in hand, the girl just has better features like road head and sex... and sometimes when ur bored and want a little pointless conversation... or for your amusement, tell your girl to help you find that noise ur jeeps making =)

Come now, you can't picture in your mind the back of the hood raised 1/2"? 'Cause that's exactly what it looks like :)

-Ron
e

I can picture it in my mind 1/2 inch spacing, just can picture if it would look tacky? in comparison to the entire Jeep... like maybe from the side view it looks like you front end is smashed, and that's why your hood does not line up? in addition why haven't more ppl done this? Seems like it would allow a ton of water to come in too..

JB

e

I can picture it in my mind 1/2 inch spacing, just can picture if it would look tacky? in comparison to the entire Jeep... like maybe from the side view it looks like you front end is smashed, and that's why your hood does not line up? in addition why haven't more ppl done this? Seems like it would allow a ton of water to come in too..

JB

Just a little bit tacky.

But in comparison to the rest of most trail rigs, it fits right in :D

A lot of people do this, or hood vents, which are very popular out west.

You get a nice set of hood vents, and you do a careful job of cutting them in and assembly, and it actually improves the look of your XJ :thumbup:

The little bit of extra rain water in the engine compartment caused by these mods doesn't appear to be of concern.

-Ron

Just a little bit tacky.

But in comparison to the rest of most trail rigs, it fits right in :D

A lot of people do this, or hood vents, which are very popular out west.

You get a nice set of hood vents, and you do a careful job of cutting them in and assembly, and it actually improves the look of your XJ :thumbup:

The little bit of extra rain water in the engine compartment caused by these mods doesn't appear to be of concern.

-Ron

so i was kind of thinkin... wonder what kind of heat i could get rid of if i did vents on the side of the fenders... like idk... i dont think the f350's are vents but the little black side pieces for their turbos.

i think it would be more of a benefit to have ducts, with fans pulling the air from inside the engine compartment and out somethin like snorkles =) u could be different and have dual snorkles!

"Best" mod is a tough subject, since so many of them go together. If you're talking about a single mod and you have two identical stock XJs for side-by-side comparison on the trail, I'd say lockers. The locked one will out-perform the unlocked one hands-down.

I can't even narrow it down on mine, I built it up all at once so it all blurred together to create a very different vehicle than before. Bang for the buck though, a pair of lockers gives a lot of value on the trail.

X2, A locked XJ on bald tires will go further down a trail than an unlocked one on new tires!! :cool:

so i was kind of thinkin... wonder what kind of heat i could get rid of if i did vents on the side of the fenders... like idk... i dont think the f350's are vents but the little black side pieces for their turbos.

i think it would be more of a benefit to have ducts, with fans pulling the air from inside the engine compartment and out somethin like snorkles =) u could be different and have dual snorkles!

The main benefit to having vents in the hood as apposed to on the side is efficiency. Heat rises so it makes sense to have the vent where the heat is. Driving down the street I can see vents in the fenders having some effect, crawling down the trail I want heat up and out. Considering I live in the Southwest and it frequently gets over 100 degrees here I love my hood vents.

X2, A locked XJ on bald tires will go further down a trail than an unlocked one on new tires!! :cool:

Funny how this changes with territory. I can imagine this being the case in the SW, where you've got more desert and rocks to deal with. Up here, where we've got slick, muddy trails, tree trunks to crawl over, and very often snow, bald tires will get you stuck just about instantly.

For my Stock XJ my leather power seat for the driver. I like being able to get a finer tuned seating position.

After my lift it might change.

Back