• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

best locker for 5 spd

jonnywong

NAXJA Forum User
Im in the market for a new locker (or used) but i just wanted to get opinions on the best setup for a locker and the 5 spd tranny. Im running a '95 xj 8.25 27 spl rear. Looking to get it locked, but i'd like to know what works best on and offroad with the 5 spd. I've read that a detroit locker is a bad match for the 5spd, but they seem to be reliable and last forever. i see a couple for sale around 300, which is in my price range. How would this compare for me to a powertrax no-slip or something similiar? Also Gears arent a real priority since im only running 31s but id like to know if there would be any advantage to them with this setup. thanks in advance

hands down detroit :) I've ran it in my 98XJ and the same axle moved to my 97XJ. I actually bought a detroit to put into my 99XJ. 97 has them front and rear and 99 will have it only in the rear (99 is not a trail rig)

I'm running a powertrax in my '44 with little issues. Like UNCC said, you have to learn to drive with it......when shifting, let the clutch completely disengage before giving it gas, or it'll learch side-to-side. It bangs unexpectedly from time to time, but that's to be expected from any locker (although a little startling at first until you get used to it). Low speed tight turns are best done coasting in N or with the clutch in, best if you can anticipate them and approach accordingly.....and U-turns are interesting too. You need to adjust your driving habits accordingly.

Jeff

Back