• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best LA Junkyard for XJ Parts?

You are welcome to come work in my driveway, lots of people around here do :D my garage is right where the 91 and the 110 cross.

you go to the pick your part site you can see inventory from the last few days for monrovia and ontario PAP

http://www.pickapartauto.com/index.html

or you can go to the LKQ self service site and search for inventory at some of the JY that are served by LKQ

http://www.lkqselfserve.com/

just click under locations, drop down to west and pick location then do a search under recently added and type in cherokee. not all of them have updated list and I don't know how accurate the inventory is.

I remember I went to a PAP half off sale and grabbed a rearend and ended up paying $150 because they nickle and dimed me to death, they pretty much parted it out and charged me for everything individually. Oh it has the control arms on it, well those are $10 each. Oh you want the calipers rotors and pads? that's $25 a side. Oh you want the axle shafts, those are $20 each...

I remember I went to a PAP half off sale and grabbed a rearend and ended up paying $150 because they nickle and dimed me to death, they pretty much parted it out and charged me for everything individually. Oh it has the control arms on it, well those are $10 each. Oh you want the calipers rotors and pads? that's $25 a side. Oh you want the axle shafts, those are $20 each...

Yeah, I dont go there anymore for that reason. Usually Ecology doesn't pull that crap.

You are welcome to come work in my driveway, lots of people around here do :D my garage is right where the 91 and the 110 cross.

Wow, really? You're not far away from me at all! That's an awesome offer and I might just take you up on it when it comes time to do the SYE...I'd much prefer a driveway to my alley. Since I'm in Long Beach, I can't complete a project until LBPD rolls up and asks to see my registration and ID to prove I'm not stealing my own rig.

I wonder if they'd do the same thing with a driveshaft? Oh, those worn out u-joints? That's an extra $5 per. I'll skip that noise and go to ecology. That's assuming that Powertrain can't hook me up instead.

Since I'm in Long Beach, I can't complete a project until LBPD rolls up and asks to see my registration and ID to prove I'm not stealing my own rig.

I was doing a brake job on my jeep in Carpenteria and had 3 units show up thinking I was stealing it... that was a fun day..

I keep my id, reg and, insurance card on the dash now when I work on the rig so when I hear the PA "Step out from underneath the vehicle with your hands where I can see them" I can grab it easily and get back to what I'm doing with minimal time wasted. I think it's time to move...

I haven't had 3 unit though, I have a goal now!

I had the MJ in my own driveway with the front axle up on jack stands with no wheels on it (just put in the new front axle) and the next morning found a notice on the windshield that the city wanted all abandoned vehicles removed from peoples property or else they were going to remove them in X amount of days. i called and apparently if you leave the wheels off your vehicle overnight it automatically qualifies as an abandoned vehicle. :rolleyes: the thing had brand new brake rotors on it too, apparently the people who go looking for "abandoned cars" don't know crap about cars. :twak:

I had the MJ in my own driveway with the front axle up on jack stands with no wheels on it (just put in the new front axle) and the next morning found a notice on the windshield that the city wanted all abandoned vehicles removed from peoples property or else they were going to remove them in X amount of days. i called and apparently if you leave the wheels off your vehicle overnight it automatically qualifies as an abandoned vehicle. :rolleyes: the thing had brand new brake rotors on it too, apparently the people who go looking for "abandoned cars" don't know crap about cars. :twak:
got one of those too....

It's so stupid. I could see someone's past ricer dreams 92 Civic on blocks in the front yard with graffiti behind flagged. But the city (and those who work for it) are clearly idiots. I hate working on my car feeling like I'm living with Napoleonic Code.

Also, how can you call a vehicle "abandoned" when it's clearly sitting in the driveway of a residence? Abandoned implies it's left somewhere unknown and forgotten about. To me, at least.

Pssh, I was swapping axles on in my underground parking garage and was threatened with eviction by the landlord if I didn't get it rolling within 24hrs. Obviously NOT a Jeep guy.

Most cities bust you for 'inoperable vehicles stored in public view.'

I was doing a brake job on my jeep in Carpenteria and had 3 units show up thinking I was stealing it... that was a fun day..

i was working in the carport on the side of my garage of my apartment building which faces an alley, replacing the master cylinder and brake booster on my MJ, and 3 cop cars showed up guns drawn and put me and my 3 buddies face down on the ground. apparently the neighbors called the cops and said a bunch of gang bangers were robbing a garage and stealing a car :rolleyes:

Now I do all my work behind the gate at my mom's place lol. basically the city code here is if you are in public view you can't be working on a vehicle for more than 4 hours, and no power or air tools. all bets are off if you are behind a gate though.

i was working in the carport on the side of my garage of my apartment building which faces an alley, replacing the master cylinder and brake booster on my MJ, and 3 cop cars showed up guns drawn and put me and my 3 buddies face down on the ground. apparently the neighbors called the cops and said a bunch of gang bangers were robbing a garage and stealing a car :rolleyes:

Now I do all my work behind the gate at my mom's place lol. basically the city code here is if you are in public view you can't be working on a vehicle for more than 4 hours, and no power or air tools. all bets are off if you are behind a gate though.

That's why I made friends with my neighbors so they all know me and my cars and don't call the cops on me. Problem is, for some reason, cops do regular rounds DOWN the alley and don't like a white guy wrenching on a beat-up XJ.

Picked this up at the Ecology in Wilmington today:

2012-05-26_18-39-04_265.jpg

It's far beefier than a stock front driveshaft and looks next to new. Even the U joints are in amazing shape. A quick google search told me that "Drive Line Service" is now Powertrain industries, I think I lucked out like crazy. Measures 31" collapsed, ~35" extended.

Also pulled full factory skid plates off the same Jeep. T-case skid is for a 242 and I have a 231, but $60 for everything. I feel victorious!

Back