• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best and worst...

My best, and it's new to me. It's a Toyota Corolla! It's my new Daily Driver.

If you don't have one I recomend getting one. No more worries about MPG, no worries about dragging my junk off the trail and having to worry about getting to work on Monday. Also have a great parts runner when I need to get them for the Jeep.

Don't worry, I still will have two XJ's, and now I can really start getting all those small minor mods done. Who knows, I may even try to get my Junk to look pretty again. ;)

My worsed, buying a TJ LP D30 for $800. At least it was 4.10 and I have kept the shafts, joints and outer knuckles.

best: putting on the orgs 6" lift, arb, winch which has saved my ass more then once, finding and joining :NAXJA:
Worst: Putting on a 3" lift for only 4 months then going to the 6" lift.
'

Best: Buying a full length Wilderness rack with all the bells and whistles on it.
Worst: Buying a Mopar spare tire mount on the OME rails and hearing it rattle until I broke it 30 miles into a forest service road. I believe it still sits in the canyon I through it into after it fell off my rig. Yes, I was mad.

Best and worst mods I have done:

Best:

Rock Rails all the way! Keep the body "Nice" as well as provide good high lift jack lift point.

Other bests would include gears and lockers.

Worst:

Trying to tune an adjustable MAP sensor. Couldnt get a good looking power curve with the limited adjustability of the MAP. It only move the entire fuel curve from 0 rpm to redline. If I could tune the MAP reading per RPM like an air fuel controler, then it would be different so I could add fuel below 3000rpm and lean it out above 3000rpm.

Building bumpers and rock rails out of 1/4" wall square tube instead of 3/16" square wall tube. I think they are really heavy and some weight savings couldnt hurt trail as well as road preformance.

Not planning ahead. Thinking about the designs of EVERYTHING on the Jeep. If I had to do it again, I would start by plating the frame rails, building the rock rails off the frame plating/reinforcing, and also make the rock rail supports so an interior cage could easily be tied into them. Also tie suspension mounts into the frame reincforsing and roll cage.

AARON

Kejtar said:

+1, pick up your trash.

MrShoeBoy,
you couldn't be more right on the frame reinforcment and cage. After talking with the guys that wheeled cheroke's and trashed them beofre it was cool, they told me to the exact same thing. I'm going to try to do it this fall or winter.

Nay said:
So I think my best mod overall is building an XJ that is truly dual purpose./QUOTE]

Amen to that! I love driving mine everday, although it would be nice to have something cheap as a backup dd. I try to do as much of my own work/maintenance as possible. The biggest problem is finding the time to get it all done. There have been several occasions when I had to borrow my wife's car or bum a ride to work because I was in the middle of some project on my XJ that left it undrivable for a day or two until I finished up.

Worst Mods: fixed control arms, jacobs ignition (yeah, i know :doh: )
Best Mods: fender trimming, lockers, orgs super nerfs, gas tank skid, t-case skid, lca mount skids, 33" trxus + 4.56 gears, sylvania silverstars

What I regret: Not to buy a Limited and buying the RE lower CA instead of the long arms (because of the price, but now I´ve to spend the money twice)
What I like: Getting 2 lockers, 4.56 and upgraded axle shafts at the same time (I´ve bought used axles)

Best: 235 BFG ATKOs (well they ARE better than the 205/60s that were on there)
worst: modifying header panel, fender and hood by running into things)

I talked to a few axle places and it seems the toyota 7.5 uses the same carrier and 30 spline axles as the 8". this might also be a rumor, but i don't have a reason to think the guy doesn't know better. i would guess that "1 ton" toyota 2wds came with the 8" as probably the duallies and RVs did. this is all in the quest to have 5 on 4.5 of course, wouldn't adapters work just fine?

what are the problems with the jacobs ignition?

thanks
mike

Best and worst, eh?

Best:

RE 3.5" with full packs
Rubi wheels and GY MT/R's for a song
Every skid available for under the truck
HD trackbar
Kevin's Sliderz
$15 speedo gear so I know when I am going 70
Finding the last known Stealthbox in existence

Worst:
RE hack and tap (I still can't find my high speed, over 70mph, vibe. Fark.) I should have just popped open the TC.
Doing the serp belt myself. What a PIA. Next time I'll pay to have it done.
Doing all of my lift solo. Fark, I am still sore.

Worst: Installing lifts three different times, I should have just gone big from the start. Every body knows how it works: I’ll just put on a 2” lift, and it works great. For a while, but 4” would be so much better. So on goes a 4” lift and life is good. Until that one day where I needed just a little bit more lift. So, after tearing down and rebuilding my suspension three different times I’m finally at 6”. This is the height I really wanted anyways and life is good, for now…

Best: Buying a welder and learning how to use it. I’ve made a tire carrier, rear bumper, working on a front bumper this week and I lost count of how much other small stuff. Its amazing how many friends come out of the woodwork when they find out you have a welder. I don’t mind practicing welding on their junk and drinking their beer ;) It’s nice to be able to build something yourself for a quarter of what some company would charge.

Best Mod: 2 inch budget boost, Yakima rack

Worst: Not puting the rear tire carrier on the rear bumper when it was sitting there in the garage waiting for me. Now I have to take it off (PITA) and put it on, cause I really don't like it taking up all my space in my rack!

Best mod in a week or so... (Black Steelies)

Worst mod--Spending BIG $$$ on my Dana 30 that I'll never get back out of it when EVERYONE told me to build a 44 instead. NOW I'm listening... :rattle:

Best mod--My NP231 build! (JB SYE and 2-LOW kit) The 2-LOW is used constantly on the trail, and the full-yoke SYE solved a number of issues.

Worst: (A) As mentioned above, spending money on axles your gonna yank
out anyways: i.e. f&r 4.56's and a Detroit that were put in 3 months
ago are now getting yanked for 60's.
(B) OPEN AIR INTAKES SUCK! literally... never ever buy one if you
plan to see any water crossings.

Best: Ironically, even though im selling it now, was the rear Detroit. (going
spool in the 60)

Worst: its not really a mod just a dumb mistake...not properly supporting the rear axle while i took the leaf springs off, effectively snapping my newly installed ss brake line and abs lines when it fell of the jack stands.

-Who knew the round axle tube would rotate on a jack stand??-

Best: Ordering my whole 5.5" kit w/many other things from Dirk at DPGoff road

worst...nothing yet, the *search* feature of this website is awesome!

Best: umm...lift, tires and more important than a capable rig; learning to drive...Amazing what you can get through by taking the right line and knowing when to throttle and when not to. Got hung up all the time in this one spot and when i learned the line and the dos and donts, i can idle right through it almost! havnt been stuck since my 1st time out.

Jason

Back