• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bent rear axle shaft!?

D35 means "Dana 35", and axle made by the Dana Corporation. It came in 2 configuations, bearing retained (wheel bearing holds axle in) and C clip retained ( C clip holds the axle in). "35C' means that it is a Dana 35 that has C clip retained axles.

Ron

No it doesnt,the C stands for "custom".

Bending an axle flange is a fluke, it doesn't happen very often, and you usually have no idea when it happened.......unless you're in an accident and slam the wheel into a curb or something. I wouldn't worry about it happening again. You can replace the axle shaft and go on, then learn some more so you have some kind of clue what you're talking about and consider changing to a stronger axle after you've learned (a lot) more.

BTW, the axle is either held into the housing with a retainer plate at the outer end of the housing, or by a c-clip at the tip of the axle shaft inside of the center section (inside the gears). It's much easier to replace a non-c-clip axle, because you don't have to take the cover off the diff.

Spline count has nothing to do with gearing or power, it simply means the axle shaft is bigger and stronger. D35's have 27 spline axles, early 8.25's have 27 spline axles, later (97' up) 8.25's have 29 splines, d44's have 30 splines, Ford 8.8's have 31 splines.

Well, c'clips are the weak point of the whole thing, so I don't think they would be the better set-up. If the c-clip breaks, the axle comes out. And they do come out. You can tell whick axle you have by the shape of the cover (as far as Dana (35) vs corporate (8.25). The 8.25 cover is symetrical, the 35 is asymetrical.

By the way, the splines fit into the differential gears, so you can't just change the number of splines. And the number of splines does not change the gear ratios.

Bending an axle flange is a fluke, it doesn't happen very often, and you usually have no idea when it happened.......unless you're in an accident and slam the wheel into a curb or something. I wouldn't worry about it happening again. You can replace the axle shaft and go on, then learn some more so you have some kind of clue what you're talking about and consider changing to a stronger axle after you've learned (a lot) more.

BTW, the axle is either held into the housing with a retainer plate at the outer end of the housing, or by a c-clip at the tip of the axle shaft inside of the center section (inside the gears). It's much easier to replace a non-c-clip axle, because you don't have to take the cover off the diff.

Spline count has nothing to do with gearing or power, it simply means the axle shaft is bigger and stronger. D35's have 27 spline axles, early 8.25's have 27 spline axles, later (97' up) 8.25's have 29 splines, d44's have 30 splines, Ford 8.8's have 31 splines.
Hey i appriciate all the patience everyone has had with me and all my POST's, i am studing up as i am on the forum aswell, sometimes its better understood when explained through here than a book or otherwise! I know were the GEARS are!! i know i can easily swap the shafts out myself, just figured i'm gonna eventually change the rear out, so what better time. thanks Again

Axles

Front Axles
Dana 30 high pinion - reverse cut - 27 spline, 1.16" diameter shafts, 7.13" ring gear - used 84-99 (some axles through 91 are vacuum disconnect, 92+ are non-disconnect, 89-95 with ABS have 5-297x u-joints, all 95+ have 5-297x u-joints, all others have 5-260x u-joints)

Dana 30 low pinion - standard cut - 27 spline, 1.16" diameter shafts, 7.13" ring gear, 5-297x u-joints - used 00-01

Rear Axles
Rear Axle pics including non stock ford 8.8 and 9" and D60-
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/325000-325999/325707_182_full.jpg
(Note on Dana 35 axles sometimes referred to as Dana 35C - The "C" does not stand for c-clip. It stands for "custom" meaning it came from Dana unfinished.)
(Note on 8.25 axles - none of these axles were used on XJs with ABS brakes. If you have ABS, you have the Dana 35. Without ABS you could have either axle. 8.25 axles are c-clip)

Dana 35 non c-clip - 27 spline, 1.18" diameter shafts, 7.58" ring gear, 2.62" axle tube - used 84-89
Dana 35 c-clip - 27 spline, 1.18" diameter shafts, 7.58" ring gear, 2.62" axle tube - used 90-01
Chrysler 8.25 - 27 spline, 1.17" diameter shafts, 8.25" ring gear, 3" axle tube - used 91-96
Chrysler 8.25 - 29 spline, 1.21" diameter shafts, 8.25" ring gear, 3" axle tube - used 97-01
Dana 44 non c-clip - 30 spline, 1.31" diameter shafts, 8.5" ring gear, 2.75" axle tube - used 87-89 on some(not all) XJs equipped with towing package.

Gearing

3.07 - used with 4.0L engine / manual transmission
3.31 - only available on older (pre87?) 2 door XJs with "
Fuel Economy" package
3.55 - used with 4.0L engine / automatic transmission
3.73 - found in some XJs with the towing package
4.10 - used with 2.5L engine usually, and older XJs with the "Off-Highway Vehicle" package.
4.56 - rare but can be found on some older (~ 89 ~) models with 2.5L engine and
auto transmission

Back