• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bendix ABS removal

Ok, we're in the middle of the ABS to non-ABS swap on my '90 XJ, and my dear hubby has a question: is there any difference in the pedals between the two systems? We've eyeballed them, and they look the same, but we wanted to know if anyone did the straight up swap-out and found a difference.

Thanks,
Mrs Hillbilly

rgadley said:
Ok, we're in the middle of the ABS to non-ABS swap on my '90 XJ, and my dear hubby has a question: is there any difference in the pedals between the two systems? We've eyeballed them, and they look the same, but we wanted to know if anyone did the straight up swap-out and found a difference.

Thanks,
Mrs Hillbilly

There was in the '91 system I did, but it may be different in the pre '91 systems. In the '91 the pedal to pushrod attachment was about an inch off.

When I went from the '91 set up to the '99 set up it took some work to get everything to line up.

Bones :skull1:

I have a 91 Briarwood and it had the problem with the accumulator motor going bad and the super hard pedal issue. I took it to jeep and They replaced it all under warranty. it is Jeep Recal number 702 I had to wait a while for the parts to arrive but it was worth it. The recall is only for the 91 year bendix so far as I can tell, but I have got to tell you, having a lifetime warranty on the ABS system kind of makes me want to restore the jeep so I can attempt to have my grandkids go to the dealership in 40 years and hit the dealer up for an antique and obscure break system.

The dealership replaced the pump in my 1990 XJ due to the recall also. They also rebuilt the MC and flushed all the fluid. I have S-10 brakes on the front and the ABS sensors are pulled out. I also have disc brakes on the rear. I thought they were going to hassle me because the other parts...but they never did... I am not sure if they looked at the different parts but I feel lucky to get the work for free. Great recall, I just wish they would fix it right buy getting rid of the junk instead of just replacing it.....

Back