• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Beginning a crawler. HELP!

Krawlorado

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2001 xj and it's got the 3.5 RE with 31's and some other upgrades. What should I upgrade first to start crawling some serious trails?
Thanks

Define your understanding / definition of a "serious" trail.

To me, a "serious" trail would require massive modifications, not "upgrades".

Yeahhhhhh. That's eye of the beholder type deal. There's a lot of stuff to be run on what you have. But there's a lot you can't.
Maybe point out the trails you want to run?

Well for now it's my daily till in about a year or so so I want to start slowly building it up so I can make it a trailer rig. But for now I'm just thinking of like moody hill type trails.

To fit 33s a little better you think I need to go up an inch higher or should they fit fine with the right trimming and bump stopping?

To be perfectly honest, the smarter money is to keep your current rig like it is as your daily driver, save up $6-$7K and buy someone's built rig....... take advantage of their time and over-investment.

To put 33's on your rig you need 5" lift at a minimum, bump stops, then 4:56 gears and lockers. To get 5" lift you'll need adjustable upper and lower short arms and drop brackets, or long arms, 4 longer shocks, HD track bar and bracket, longer brake lines, rear leaf packs, and new rear drive shaft with slip yoke eliminat or for the tcase. Highly recommend beefy steering too.

You really can't build your rig in small bits and pieces steps.

Seems true, each inch will cost you a grand after 3"........

Eh. 3.5 is fine to 35's. As long as you don't love the sheet metal.
Going to 33's opens a large can of worms for other party's that then need to be upgraded as well.
Traction devices, and parts to keep the rig in one piece are far more valuable than big tires.

Back