• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bedliner material to protect lower body panels

i did the lower panels of the doors and the rockers after someone recommended the cheap
stuff from walmart (maybe duplicolor, i don't recall). looked nice for a while but now i'm
noticing a few small chips at the edges. i suppose it could be bad prep, as my paint was still
near new and i likely missed a few spots w/ the wire brush (on the drill).
:dunno:

$.02

I have had the duplicolor on mine for 3 years. seems to be holding up ok. Have a few chips on but those are easy to touch up. just tape off and spray it again.

gator_grabber said:
Very helpful information. I have a slightly different reality here in Florida...what's a rock? :D Our problem is with sand and brush abrasion along the lower body lines and undercarriage. Mix that with salty ocean air and you get rust. If you bolt or stick anything onto the body, you're just asking for problems as it provides places for salt to hide. High quality spray or brush-on material seems to be the answer.

I just bought a product called Por-15, this may have already been suggested, but i didnt have time to read the entire thread. Its great, cus you can paint it right over rust, in fact thats the best surface for it. You can put it on smooth metal too, you just need to prep it with metal-ready, another product from por-15. I used it to do the undercarriage, rockerpanals, wheel wells, rear quarter panels, and along the door sill. It dries hard as a rock, wont chip or peel, and you will NEVER have rust again. The more humid it is and moisture it experiences, the harder it gets. You can brush it on like i did, which is pretty simple, or spray it on. The only colors it has are black, semi-gloss black, clear, silver, and gloss black i think. hope this helps.

This is an old pic and my jeep doesnt look liek that anymore... its uglier with rock rash and such. but the linx on the doors is still there and holding strong!

Honestly... with I wouldnt of done it... cause I wanna do some body mods. so getting that shit off so i can weld in an area will SUCK! But I would recomend it if youre happy with your body as is

and here are two total poser pics for ya

pc2200244so.jpg

p61003211qp.jpg

p53107226ls.jpg

Heres one from this weekend on the way home from john bull

p61107644oh.jpg

Last edited:
I have used both duplicolor and herculiner and agree that the duplicolor is very cheap. My girlfrends xj and my xj have herculiner on our rockers and they are handing north eastern ohio weather quite well. With my girlfrends jeep my dad and i replaced the rocker panels and i applied the herculiner right over the steel. No sign of rust and this is the only paint they have. If applied this way it does not come off. With mine i was lazy and painted over some rust spots and those are coming back but when i get time to sand blast those spots and re paint those with herculiner it wont happen again. Another use i have found for this stuff is filling small holes in floor boards. I also have a 71 gremlin and it had a quater size hole in the floor. I cleaned the spot put some carboard against the underside of the floor and poured the cheap duplicolor stuf into the hole. After it dried it was hard as a rock and now with a year of diving it the spot has not come back, best yet is the repair is unnoticeable.

gator_grabber said:
That's just what I needed. I see you did the flares too..how did that work out long term?

I dont know... only had them on for like 6 months and then sold them when I moved to Cali... no snow out here in the deserts! :wierd:

herc it, i did my rockers, I followed the same lines as Drunk Tank so i won't even post pics. It is good stuff if you prep it properly. I've drug it down trees smashing my doors with no damage..........to the herculiner :laugh3:

Back