• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BB question about quality

zfinger

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, so I have a 97' XJ and its my daily driver and winter beater all in one. I take if wheelin occasionally, no more then an hour, and not much more then a washed out dirt road up a small mountain (Blackcat Mtn in Maine).

I'm looking at the cheap ebay budget boost, but the quality looks fishy to me. I forsee a lot of clunking and the chance that a spring may just fall out or something. I'd like to be able to clear 31's, and I figured this is the cheapest way to do it. I dont need massive articulation, I just want a slightly more capable daily driver.

SO what do you think, is the quality up to par on this or will they break on me. BTW I searched for "budget boost" "ebay lift" and "budget lift" on here and didnt find anything on quality.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3-su...002272127QQcategoryZ33585QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Those spacers are way to big, Al too. You want steel, and that kit dosn't come with everything you need either. You'll need new LCA's, shims for the rear, and probably longer brake lines.

Can not help you with the E-bay unit.

My opinion would be to get a budget boost from a reputable source like RE, Rusty's, etc, etc.

I would get the spacers in front and long aal in rear.

If you are mechanically inclined you can probably do a 3" lift for very similar price to a BB. All you need is a 3" spring in front and long aal in rear. Plus an alignment.

Michael

Explain a bit more of this too me. I'm at work so I dont have time right now to search and read a million forums, but would the same kit in a 2" be all I need? Would I still need shims (what are those exactly?), the aal (dont know what that is either), and would I still be able to clear 31's?

Got any link you can post real quick of where I can buy the RE or Rustys BB kits? I'M hoping to pull this off for roughly $100, seeing I still have roughly $4000+ heading in the direction of my Nissan 240sx, that I want to have ready for next June.

That kit is very scarey, the coil spring spacers fit on the AXLE or bottom side and are not held in place except with the coil spring retainer bolt......its not something I would trust my life too...also if using rear blocks only use solid ones, the hollow center units will fail.

I have the daystar 2" BB it comes with HD shackles and front coil spring spacers.

Those rear blocks are way too large. On factory springs you will get massive axle wrap, which causes loss of traction, fatigued springs, and excellerated U-joint wear.

To me the quality and concept was a bit shistie. But hey, if someone said "I've been running that for 5 years with no ploblems" then maybe the product would hold some weight, but nope, I guess it's crap.

Who makes a better BB?

St3mpy said:
Those spacers are way to big, Al too. You want steel, and that kit dosn't come with everything you need either. You'll need new LCA's, shims for the rear, and probably longer brake lines.
Tell me you are kidding...you don't need all that crap on a BB. Though like other have said, get a good one from RE or some company that has poly spacers and I would go with shackles. This way down the road you can add a 3" kit and end up in the neighborhood of 5"

zfinger said:
To me the quality and concept was a bit shistie. But hey, if someone said "I've been running that for 5 years with no ploblems" then maybe the product would hold some weight, but nope, I guess it's crap.

Who makes a better BB?

I tried to contact a person who they said had been running it for 5 years, he does not exist. by the way they have only been sellling them for about 3 now

Last edited:
Humm, the Daystar only adds 1.75 in the front and 1" in the rear. The price is right but will I clear 31's?

I'd love to be able to spend a ton of money on a lift for the Jeep, but my dad says I have automotive ADD. I need to finish my Nissan first, but I'm hoping to sneak in a small lift on the Jeep before I buy new tires (will need before the snow flies)

zfinger said:
Humm, the Daystar only adds 1.75 in the front and 1" in the rear. The price is right but will I clear 31's?

I'd love to be able to spend a ton of money on a lift for the Jeep, but my dad says I have automotive ADD. I need to finish my Nissan first, but I'm hoping to sneak in a small lift on the Jeep before I buy new tires (will need before the snow flies)

If you want to clear 31's without fender trimming or adding excessively large bumpstops go with a 3" AAL kit (3" coil in front, 3" LONG AAL in rear) Rustys have has the best deal going for about $250 with shocks.

zfinger said:

picture.JPG

here ya go it actually gave 1 3/4" front and 1 1/4" rear, which is typical to level the XJ out adn only 1/4" less than the typical 2"kit, none will give you 2" in the rear

semisynth said:
If you want to clear 31's without fender trimming or adding excessively large bumpstops go with a 3" AAL kit (3" coil in front, 3" LONG AAL in rear) Rustys have has the best deal going for about $250 with shocks.

what the hell you talikn about..I runn 31's with 2" BB and no trimming see pic above...

zfinger said:

Get the DayStar,It will clear 31 X 10.50's, kinda, I have one and it works great for me. But add some bumpstops (least on the back, make your own) and think about trimming.
Get the kit with greasable shackle's.
I got mine thru (sorry guys) $Wheel Parts, paid like $115.00 (last year) and picked it up myself.
Here's the part #...... KJO9106BK
I had to cut about 3 inchs off my tailpipe to clear the shackles.
Here it is, compleate with saggy springs & 31 X 10.50's...............
100_2001.jpg

I throw the 30's on it from the 91 on it if I wheel it.......
Picture43.jpg

(31's wont fit the back bottom corners of the flair at least with saggy springs)

Be up to you if you wanna trim after that or maybe get some 31x9.50's. ;)

Last edited:
xjnation said:
what the hell you talikn about..I runn 31's with 2" BB and no trimming see pic above...
Ya I see it sitting there but I bet it rubs dissconected and flexed without larger bumpstops.

Timber said:
Who makes 31x9.5s? I'd love to go that route instead of 30x9.5s.

Interco Super Swamper TSL radial... not known for having the toughest sidewalls in their lineup.

Any others? With a two year old and another on the way, I'd really like something that handles a bit better in the ice/snow. I'm thinking typical MTs here.

Sorry--not trying to hijack. I'll shut up about this now.

Back