• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Battery cables melted. Turns Over No Spark

SimonJeep

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1989 Cherokee pioneer 4.0 automatic.

The other day I parked it and noticed an odd smell, when I popped the hood smoke was coming from the plastic tubing that holds the positive cable going to the battery and negative cable that goes to the block. I unhooked the battery inspected the rest of the wiring for any insulation that may of melted off, and noticed no other problems. I replaced the battery cables and when I tried to start it, it turned over, but I have no spark. One of the relays clicks back and forth really fast when I first turn the key on to the position where the fuel pump turns on. Ive checked the three fusible links coming off the power distributor, the cam position sensor, checked and replaced the crank position sensor, checked the coil, and the distributor. Could my ECU be fried?

When I first bought the beautiful blue beast I call my jeep the guy told me that one time when he jump started it the stock radio quit working and the AC compressor stopped kicking on. The guy didn't seem very mechanically inclined, so assumed it was just some fuses. It turned out not to be and I never could figure it out. Could these issues also be related to my ECU? I replaced the stock radio with an after market one and havn't had any problems with it blowing fuses or anything.

Cables are probably toast, over time they get corrosion in between the strands, and gain resistance. Have you tried cleaning all the connections? If they are good, check resistance on the Cables to the starter. The ECM needs to see a certain RPM before it will fire, so if your starter is cranking weakly to bad cables, it could be your problem.

Sounds like your B Latch relay is toasted.

any other ideas?

Do you have 12 volts to the ICM three wire connector, "A" wire when the key is ON? Is the power on steady or on/off with the relay clicking?

Back