• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

banging while putting auto into reverse.

BIGDAMNXJ said:
not to sound dumb but where and what bolts are these??
In the bellhousing. Check the bellhousing bolts themselves to make sure thy're not loose.
There's an inspection plate that you can take off of the bellhousing. Pull the inspection plate and you'll see the flex plate. Make sure that the flex plate isn't cracked/warped and that the bolts are tight.
doing a search for flex plate will give you more results than you'll need for a more detailed walkthrough.

Mine kinda bangs going into drive or reverse, but its more a bump, all three of my XJs do it from slack in the drivetrain. It own't do it when I put it in neutral for a sec then drive.

it could possibly be your spring perches on your axle, i bent mine all up and every time i would pu tit in reverse or drive it would bang quite loudly.. couldnt figure out what it was until my u joint straps blew off the rear driveshaft at the diff pinion because it was at so bad of an angle.. not goood...

Back