• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ballist Resistor?

I beleive the ballast resistor was a "fix" to reduce fuel pump noise. Don't think you'll hurt the pump if you remove the resistor. I'm running a chevy engine with multiport injection and am using the stock 4.0L pump without the ballast reistor. No problems noted, other than the pump is more noticeable now.

dizzymac said:
Don't think a fuel pump would "vibrate" the frame(uni-body), but my '90 has a ballast resistor on the drivers fender by the air box.

A bad fuel pump can vibrate and buzz and make a real racket as it wears out. This is more likely than a ballast resistor problem, which I would expect to cause random cutting out but no exta noise. When my stepson's 93 developed a bad pump, it went over time from a mild buzzing to a grinding howl that you could just about feel in your teeth. Interestingly, it worked fine until we took it out.

Back