• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Balancing Trailer Tires

old_man

NAXJA Forum User
I picked up a trailer that uses mobile home axles. Is there a way to balance those tires? I though about just putting some BB's in each tire.

I believe that's the only way you will be able to balance them. Also I have found from experience that if you want the tires to last any length of time at all, you need to keep the pressure between 70-80 pounds.
Good luck

I have never and I meen never had a trailer tire stay balanced nor have I ever had one last more than maybe 15000 miles. keep the pressure up around max and dont worry about balancing them just make sure your rims are good. lube the snot out of the hubs if possible as well

I replaced my trailer tires on my 5th wheel with LT truck tires. The ST tires that were on my 5th wheel were put on my 16ft flat bed trailer that I use around the house and to haul my Jeep. When I put the tires on I had them balanced. It's hard to believe how many weights it took to get them in balance. A lot more regulation go into truck and car tires than trailer tires. Only benefit of a trailer tire is it has more UV resistance. To answer balancing question. Load it up with BB's.

Because they are mobile home axle/wheels, there is no hub to chuck them up to on a speed balancer. Your only option to balance them is the old bubble balancer that an old tire shop may still have around. But this still doesn't gurantee a good balance as the wheel is clamped against the hub and allows room for play against anchor points. Best option is upgrading axle/wheels, but expensive.

Back