• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Backspacing, backspacing, backspacing

gearwhine said:
If you run on them bad for a while, you will notice the inner part of your tires wearing out very unevenly with the rest of the tire.

I have this problem on the front passenger tire, but not on any other tires.

Is there any other explanation for this besides ball joints?

TIA

StevenJ said:
I just barely rub the lower control arm if I turn full lock. I rarely turn that sharp so it hasn't bothered me enough to adjust the stops. I probably will adjust the stops some day but it's down the list a ways.

Steve.

Take care of it ASAP or you'll do what I did: rip of the hardline and be running the trail on 3 brakes!

gmanxj said:
I have this problem on the front passenger tire, but not on any other tires.

Is there any other explanation for this besides ball joints?

TIA

There are other explanations, like a bent axle housing and major stuff like that. But I can pretty much guarantee you, if you haven't abused your jeep, or got in an accident, it's just the ball joints. That's the first thing I would replace.

If you notice wear as you had before in the next few months, then you can think about your housing being bent. Don't let this scare you though, It's like a 1% chance you have a bent axle rather than bad ball joints.

kraziexj said:
i have checked them......and there was nothing wrong with them. I didn't say that 3.75 would have no effect on them, I was just stating that the extra leverage that 3.75 has on them isn't realistically a night and day difference like everyone makes it out to be. Nor was i saying that the dana 30 is indestructible, just that some people don't give it enough credit. Also just to clearify when i say "eat them alive" im meaning that they will go out every month or two.

I was losing ball joints every 3-4 months with 33x10.5's on 3.75 BS. That is probably not typical, but to me, even having to replace them annually just from road use and moderate wheeling is way too much. Driving down the highway and that shimmy starts again...and it's off to Autozone for a ball joint press...it just drove me crazy even though I got good enough that I could do both sides in about 90 minutes.

I think the D30 is a better offroad axle than onroad in terms of heavy use. If you plan on putting 15-20K miles annually on your XJ as I was doing at the time, then I think you are well suited to a bit more backspace. Having said that, I think 3.75" is perfect for the track width of a 6" lift in terms of stability, so you gotta pick your poison (or stop polishing turds).

Nay

Nay said:
I was losing ball joints every 3-4 months with 33x10.5's on 3.75 BS. That is probably not typical, but to me, even having to replace them annually just from road use and moderate wheeling is way too much. Driving down the highway and that shimmy starts again...and it's off to Autozone for a ball joint press...it just drove me crazy even though I got good enough that I could do both sides in about 90 minutes.

Wow :shocked: . thats the first i've heard of someone having to replace them that often. I think that would drive everyone about crazy.

Nay said:
I think the D30 is a better offroad axle than onroad in terms of heavy use. If you plan on putting 15-20K miles annually on your XJ as I was doing at the time, then I think you are well suited to a bit more backspace. Having said that, I think 3.75" is perfect for the track width of a 6" lift in terms of stability, so you gotta pick your poison (or stop polishing turds).
Nay

Agreed.

dandecicco said:
I am gonna run 3.5 rough country lift, 31X11.50/15s on rock crawler 8" wheels with 3.75 bs. Am I still gonna need trimming or should I be able to stuff into the wells without a problem?

I think you'll need some minor trimming. I had that much lift with 3.75 BS rims and 31x10.5 BFG MT's and I bent my front fenders at full stuff. 1" of bumpstop extension would have prevented this.

Nay

Back