• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

backfire then dead now wont start

im still thinking its the coil. when mine went south it would do the same thing. pop and backfire when warm then eventually it just wouldnt start. had spark, just not strong enough to run the motor. you can have it tested at most auto parts stores. i would check that before getting too deep into this.

KISS. keep it simple stupid.

good luck

well the motor is turning over very fast i have been charging the battery i am going to go pick up a coil tommorow afternoon i have to work tonight. and that sensor i found hanging is the knock sensor.

i usually dont try to start it if the batter is close to the red

nothing is melted or shorted that sensor just ripped the wires out. will that cause it not to start?

while at work (autozone) i did alot of troubleshooting on the computers. it was a slow day, and it these might be the culprits.

ignition coils
dizzy
fuel filter
fuel pressure
clogged injectors

pretty much i think its a pressure problem, you might want to check on you fuel pressure. i know i am when i have a day off and can tinker with my jeep.

seeing as i need the truck for school and work i gave in and took it to a mechanic my family uses. i didnt take the distributor out because i didnt want to mess up the timing if the timing was still good. well he took it out and the Cam gear and distributor gear are pretty chewed up he said. im trying to understand what would cause the two gears to go bad? just normal wear over time?

Mitch

Bad news, but now you've gotten to the culprit. Time for new cam, lifters, thinner head gasket, in/ex combo gasket, and valve cover gasket. Make sure to keep rockers and pushrods in same location and orientation.

Bad news, but now you've gotten to the culprit. Time for new cam, lifters, thinner head gasket, in/ex combo gasket, and valve cover gasket. Make sure to keep rockers and pushrods in same location and orientation.

well he threw in a new distributor and its running now, dont know how long that cam gear will last though.

Prematue wear like you talk about is usually caused by a bad oil pump. Are you running a high volume pump? They put a lot of stress on the gears. If that is the case, I would also worry about your timing chain.

seeing as i need the truck for school and work i gave in and took it to a mechanic my family uses. i didnt take the distributor out because i didnt want to mess up the timing if the timing was still good. well he took it out and the Cam gear and distributor gear are pretty chewed up he said. im trying to understand what would cause the two gears to go bad? just normal wear over time?

Mitch

Prematue wear like you talk about is usually caused by a bad oil pump. Are you running a high volume pump? They put a lot of stress on the gears. If that is the case, I would also worry about your timing chain.

as far as i am aware they replaced it with a standard pump. although it is probably due for an oil change pretty soon if that could cause it.

Back