• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Back From Moab

Jawa

NAXJA Forum User
I just got back from Moab today - had a great time! We started out in camping in the Castle Valley area and ran some trails around there - Thompson Canyon, Onion Creek, Rose Garden Hill. We then went south to the Canyonlands area and camped for a couple more days. While we were down there we did the very long Elephant Hill -> Bobby Hole/Impossible Hill -> Beef Basin loop. Then we headed back to central Moab and got in Hell's Revenge and some of Fins N' Things before the rest of the family showed up. After that we did the Tower Arch trail in Arches and Hurrah Pass.

This trip totally redefined my idea of "steep". :D

I had my scariest wheeling moment ever when my rear end slipped into the last notch coming up Hell's Gate. :eek: Apparently my whole front end was off the ground for a moment and everyone there thought I was going over. Thankfully I didn't and, with the help of some excellent spotters (who held my front end down) I was able to get straightened out and up the rest of the way. Phew! Talk about a pucker moment!

Too bad our camera was out of memory! :flamemad: One of the guys spotting me took pics and said he'd email them to me. I really, really hope he does! I'll post 'em up when/if I get them.

FYI - I highly recommend Moab Rim Campark if you're looking for a place with tent sites/cabins/RV sites. Their facilities were clean, the place was kept up well, prices are fair, and the lady that runs it (Sue) is really nice. Great place! :thumbup:

Welcome back...now where are the Pic's?:D

You missed one hell of a good get-together, I even brought some spare fuel just for you :gag: , but sound like you were having your own fun.

so how did the lockers, gearing, and t-case rebuild do?

They did great. There were only a couple of REALLY steep obstacles that took a couple of attempts, otherwise I just walked over everything I tried. I know I didn't run anything really gnarly (other than Hell's Gate perhaps), but so far so good. :thumbup:

Welcome back...now where are the Pic's?:D

You missed one hell of a good get-together, I even brought some spare fuel just for you :gag: , but sound like you were having your own fun.

I should have pics up soon. If I had been in town I would've attended the group run, for sure. I'm going to have to start intentionally showing up with no gas now that multiple people are carrying cans for me! :moon:

Got the pics of Hell's Gate today, woo-hoo! :D :party:

P1010702.jpg

P1010704.jpg

P1010705.jpg

P1010706.jpg

P1010707.jpg

P1010708.jpg

P1010711.jpg

Heh heh....... lots of us have been there buddy, that's a white-knuckler for sure!

Try it with a 5 speed, 3.73's and no lockers (My first rig and first time on Hell's Revenge)........ My spotter back then was shouting at me to slow down but I was just above stall speed and I wasn't friggin' stopping! I did that very same wheel stand but drove right out of it without knowing any different.....:D

spotter??

I had two guys spotting me - the ones hanging on my bumper in one of the pics. For most of the pics they were just out of frame. They did an awesome job, really. When I slipped and got in a bad spot they were calm and got me straightened out. I'm damn glad to have had them.

I've tried escalator twice and took a strap/cable both times. No white knuckles really.

Hells Gate on the other hand....definte pucker till you taste seat cushion. A few inches either way and your on your way back down ass over teacups.

Escalator - 2007

Hells Gate- 2008

Sorry for the hijack JAWA.

man.. that's what i was thinking. Whoever told me that hell's gate is easier is gonna get a lashin!

ah hah! i remember who it is... *off to choke out Clint* :D

Frank, did you see him and Steve broke apart and now Clint has his own fab shop now?

I had two guys spotting me - the ones hanging on my bumper in one of the pics. For most of the pics they were just out of frame. They did an awesome job, really. When I slipped and got in a bad spot they were calm and got me straightened out. I'm damn glad to have had them.

Those guys were very impressive. At Jeep TJ? drove it without a spotter then a yota pickup did the same. The feller spotting was amazing. I saw Josh's front end coming up big time and the whole rig started doing the hip hop thing which is usually not good. The spotter and other feller calmly grabbed on to Josh's bumper, talked him though getting it straightened out, then spotted him on up. It was great to watch. Josh's gearing and lockers played a major role in his successful climb.

Another cool climb was on a rock wall where all 4 of Josh's tires were spinning and chirping to climb that sucker. Takes low gears and 2 lockers to do that.

It was a great ride, we did 11 trails, Elephant Hill to the confluence then out Beef Basin was my favorite.

Jawa's XJ worked great out there.:thumbup::thumbup:

Back