• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Back from Moab- Random thoughts & Some cool pics

bknudtsen

NAXJA Forum User
Well I just came back from my third trip to Moab, UT. This time, I made the trip with my three children crammed in the back of my XJ. I have decided that a tow rig is in my future. An Excursion perhaps, with enough room inside that the children would actually have to unbuckle themselves to touch each other. One should NEVER subject themselves to the frustrations of having a 10, 8, and 4.5 year-old elbow to elbow for a 17 hour trip. That being said, family road trips build fond memories, and I will continue the tradition, just not in such close quarters.

Here are some random thoughts in no particular order. Mostly born out of sheer boredom on my long road trip back from Moab.

***Thank God (and Taiwan) for portable DVD players.***

IMHO, buggies are pretty cool, but only if you are these guys. I woke up to find that the guys from Poison Spyder Customs were my neighbors.

IMG_1208.jpg

IMG_1215.jpg

I let them enjoy their week after EJS, and refrained from bugging them about their rigs. Seemed like cool guys though. Always friendly with their greetings as we passed. Top notch fabrication. I don't want to own a buggy, but I would bend that rule if it was one of these. There is just something about the sound of a 502 big block(orange buggy) that can't be compared with anything else.

***Sometimes you have to flirt with death to get where you are going in life.***

Or just to move forward on a trail. This is Kane Creek Canyon at around 10.7 miles. My wife took the kids out of the Jeep and walked up the trail, which was OK with me. This is one of those moments where I asked myself if I really enjoyed wheelin'.

Looking down into the canyon.
IMG_1277.jpg

Driving next to the ledge to get around a steep step that was too tall to climb. I have the utmost trust in my spotter/wheelin' partner. Thank's Loring!

IMG_1266.jpg

IMG_1267.jpg

IMG_1268.jpg

IMG_1269.jpg

Water crossings are fun. Make sure to take the pic so that it makes it look as deep as possible. Gotta justify the snorkel!
IMG_1252.jpg

I am sick of my front ARB locker! It has failed 2 out 3 three trips to Moab. Early on in the trip to boot. This time it went on the first trail. Not sure what happened.

Moab is beautiful. Unfortunately, people are still abusing the trails and creating their own obstacles off the trails. Every trail has the words "NO" painted on areas to ward off evil doers, but without fail, there are black tires tracks right over the top of the warning. It never ceases to amaze me how selfish people can be.

I want a V8.

To help pass the time and keep the peace, I asked my kids to help me name my XJ. Without hesitation, my 8 year-old daughter replied, "The Big Rolling Turd." Next game!

I have too much damn money in my XJ to start over. I guess I won't be getting a V8.

How in the heck does one afford a tow rig?!

There's more to Moab than just wheelin'. Next time I am going canyoneering.

The Pacific NW is a beautiful place. It's good to be home.

bknudtsen said:
There's more to Moab than just wheelin'. Next time I am going canyoneering.

The Pacific NW is a beautiful place. It's good to be home.

I particularly like hese last two thoughts. I have been to Moab and all the surrounding areas a number of times now. I have yet to be there to offroad. I have always wanted to but there is soooo much to this area that it is a hard decision for me. I love exploring via manual power too much.

And I fully know what you are sayin about the last one, lol. How long where you there? After a week or two in that area the PNW is suddenly better then you remember it being when you left!

Those where good pictures and thoughts! Need more pictures though, lol..

Thanks Brad!

Blkxjkrawler said:
Good stuff Brad, Thanks for giving me a laugh at work. Thos PSC buggies are quite a sight.
-Ryan

That ain't nothin'! Try having them back out of a garage toward your bedroom window at 8am. Holy shinto!

Check out the detail;

IMG_1212.jpg

bknudtsen said:
That ain't nothin'! Try having them back out of a garage toward your bedroom window at 8am. Holy shinto!

Check out the detail;

IMG_1212.jpg

Man, its a good thing I am in the shop, and have huge drain pans at my disposal. I would think all this drool could get very slippery.

Great thoughts! I can't wait to go, we leave in 17 DAYS!!!! hahahaha

And thanks for reinforcing my feelings on ARB's :)

I am taking my wife and two youngest sons this year (the oldest has to stay for school) so I'm sure I'll be loving the DVD player in the tow rig! hehehe

John

Here's some other shots from Steel Bender that make you appreciate the diversity of the area.

IMG_1357.jpg

IMG_1356.jpg

IMG_1386.jpg

Here's the single most difficult and scary forced obstacle I have run into in the 3 trips to Moab. Sorry, I do not have any pics with my rig on the obstacle because my buddy and I were too busy trying not to die. It's at about 3.6 miles into Steel Bender. The shot does not do it any justice. It is a downhill obstacle. In the first picture you can see my tire tracks in the bottom left corner for scale.

IMG_1376.jpg

The whole hill was off camber. After trying a wide line to the right in the pics, and almost rolling down the hill, I decided to build up the drop off to the left with large rocks.

IMG_1377.jpg

They don't look it, but the rocks in the pile were about 12"x 12" on average. Some took both of us to lift.

IMG_1375.jpg

Only problem was the possibility of an endo, and a sharp drop off to the passenger side. As I inched up to the edge, my buddy stepped out of the way and said, " OK, two more inches and there's no going back." I asked, "Is it gonna work?" He replied, "I hope so." Everybody that's been on slickrock knows the sound tires make when they skid across it. It's a loud howling sound, like a seal barking. Everything in my Jeep that was not held down ended up in the front floorboards as I dropped off. I thought to myself, "Give it some gas if the tailend comes up and drive this beotch out." Only problem was I had to make a left turn after dropping off. The back end unloaded, but it held. The rock pile held as well, and I drove the back end down with nary a scratch.

Yes! I made it. I need a new seat cover though! Note to self- Bring extra pair a drawers for such occassions.

Avanteone said:
Great thoughts! I can't wait to go, we leave in 17 DAYS!!!! hahahaha

John

Thanks! You'll have some great weather. I think that I'll be going later in the spring next time. Sure was nice to have the trails to just our 2 rigs though. We only saw a handful of others in the time we were there.

Avanteone said:
And thanks for reinforcing my feelings on ARB's :)

Yes, but what to do for the daily driver? Say what you will, but my buddy's TJ on 35's with Trutrac's front and rear performed flawlessly for the third year. Why can't my damn locker be as reliable as that? Usually it's a spun air collar getting pinched off, or the in the rear, the ring gear catching the air line and chewing it to pieces. Nothing but bad luck with ARB's. This time the air is blowing out the solenoid and not engaging the locker. No air out of the vent line. Go figure.

Brad

Avanteone said:
Personally, I like my Detroits and having locking hubs :)

John

x2 - I haven't had any issues in a DD with a LockRite and no hubs. :) If you have a manual transmission that might be a different story, though.

-i

Nice pics, I share some of those thoughts. Ive made a trip to Moab and a trip to the Rubicon with 2 kids in the back...fun times!

bknudtsen said:
Why can't my damn locker be as reliable as that? Usually it's a spun air collar getting pinched off, or the in the rear, the ring gear catching the air line and chewing it to pieces. Nothing but bad luck with ARB's. This time the air is blowing out the solenoid and not engaging the locker. No air out of the vent line. Go figure.

Brad

I guess I better pick up a spare soleniod, Ive had the collar spin on me so I guess Ill stay ahead of the curve. Melted air line? that happened to me once too. If youre spinning the collar its time for some more preload, thats what I had to do to mine and it has helped so far.

T&A-XJ said:
Nice pics, I share some of those thoughts. Ive made a trip to Moab and a trip to the Rubicon with 2 kids in the back...fun times!

I guess I better pick up a spare soleniod, Ive had the collar spin on me so I guess Ill stay ahead of the curve. Melted air line? that happened to me once too. If youre spinning the collar its time for some more preload, thats what I had to do to mine and it has helped so far.

I have stainless lines, so no melting issues. I'll see what's going on when I crack it open this weekend. What a PITA though.

Thanks for sharing, great pics. Im shooting for sometime in 08-09 to make it down there. From what everyone says, its one of those places you have to visit at least once in your life.

What tire size / lift height are you running?

TORX

bknudtsen said:
Yes! I made it. I need a new seat cover though! Note to self- Bring extra pair a drawers for such occassions.

I know that feeling... And that sound.

Optional play on Poison Spider, I was the entertainment for the day (this was October 2005)
poison_thursday_046.jpg

I too was ready to power out of an endo... But since it stabilized I stopped and posed for a picture :D (Note: Wheels turned - I tried to keep them straight but there was no having it ;))

Brad,
Very nice pictures!! Thanks for sharing.

I can imagine it would be frustrating not always haveing the ARB working when you want it!!

I usually wheel with 1,2, or 3 of my kids and I can remember many LONG rides home from a wheeling trip (and some were no more than a normal 1 hour drive!!) Now that I have a trailer it is far more relaxing for me on the trail. I no longer have to worry about getting the Jeep all the way home, just down to the bottom of the trail! It's not for everyone, and I wouldn't have one if I didn't wheel with my kids, but for me, it is a VERY nice change.

Michael

Back