• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ba 10 to ax15 swap, help needed

DT|Ac1d

NAXJA Forum User
Alright first off hi to everyone, this is my first post here on the forums and surely not my last.

Now to the fun stuff. I'm just about to complete my ax15 swap but have been running into a PITA problem. The trans, exhaust and drivelines are all in. But I messing with that stupid mount and crossmember. I've got the slim mount out of the 95 grand cherokee ordered, but it wont be here for almost a week. So I cut the exhaust hanger of the old one and used some bushings to make it work. First of all, the thing is barely too tall, but this will be fixed when the new mounting plate gets put in. But I need this to be up and running for work next week. Next problem is the first time I moddified the plate it ended up shifting the tranny towards the passenger side about 2". Now every time I try to raise the trans back up in there it goes over to the side 2". I had to pull while my buddy jacked it up and managed to get a nut on the one stud for the crossmember. But now the damn bolt holes on the driver side are about 1/2" off (crossmember is sitting too far back). I'm really in a bind and have no idea what the heck is going on. Any help would be great. The rig is an 87' 4.0.

Here's a pic of the mounting plate i ordered (left) and the one I modified (right). These aren't actual pictures of mine obviously.

mount_oldvnew4.jpg

Have you tried flipping the crossmember end-for-end? Sounds like a problem similar to what I'd run into - the trans is very slightly off-centre to begin with, and the crossmember is drilled to reflect this. I used the OEM crossmember on my 88 when I did the AX-15 swap, so I know it can work without modification (even used an XJ mount.)

Yep that was it. Weird because I put it in the same way I took it out. Oh well, now that I've driven it a new problem has arisen. The exhaust is hitting my rear driveline. But thats an easy fix. There's one thing I'm very worried about however. There's a clunking noise when I brake. It used to be there with the old tranny in. But sounds a bit louder now. Could be because I dont have the floor boot or center console on though. But what in the hell would make it clunk when I brake?

Yep that was it. Weird because I put it in the same way I took it out. Oh well, now that I've driven it a new problem has arisen. The exhaust is hitting my rear driveline. But thats an easy fix. There's one thing I'm very worried about however. There's a clunking noise when I brake. It used to be there with the old tranny in. But sounds a bit louder now. Could be because I dont have the floor boot or center console on though. But what in the hell would make it clunk when I brake?

Loose brake assemblies, loose calipers, failed/failing Cardan joints - take your pick! Pretty much anything that can cause mechanical free play in the brakes (at the wheels) or in the driveline itself.

Back